Mixing Malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there restrictions to which fish from the lake are mixed in a tank?

Like aggression levels of certain fish...

Part of me says that they all co exist in the same body of water but the other part of me says that its natural to have the experience of the survival of the fittest anywhere in life...

Just posting here for actual experiences...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mbuna should not be housed with haps or peacocks. Peacocks and haps can be mixed carefully, but don't always work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Demasoni should probably be kept by themselves. Had 1 mixed with other assorted cichlids and he picked on them. Just from my experience. In some cases I'm sure u could get it to work.

ALL AFRICANS CAN BE MIXED IF DONE PROPERLY

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Caps man.. it's Friday.. relax..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

wrong. Different species have different needs. Mbuna will need different water parameters than Tropheus from lake Tanganyika. Peacocks and Haps will have different dietary needs than mbuna or tropheus. Mbuna need lots of rocks peacocks do not. There are lots of reasons why certain fish should not be mixed. Yes some of them can be mixed together but it is not for the better of the fish

Demasoni should probably be kept by themselves. Had 1 mixed with other assorted cichlids and he picked on them. Just from my experience. In some cases I'm sure u could get it to work.

demasoni can be kept with other mbuna. You need to have a large group of them so they spread out aggression. 12 or more are recommended. They mix quite well with yellow labs, and the color contrast looks really nice

demasoni can be kept with other mbuna. You need to have a large group of them so they spread out aggression. 12 or more are recommended. They mix quite well with yellow labs, and the color contrast looks really nice

I have them with mbunas and they get along fine. The whole tank is pretty hostile as a whole at the moment because I have a Noah's arc type of deal going on right now but that will be changing when the fish grow a bit.

wrong. Different species have different needs. Mbuna will need different water parameters than Tropheus from lake Tanganyika. Peacocks and Haps will have different dietary needs than mbuna or tropheus. Mbuna need lots of rocks peacocks do not. There are lots of reasons why certain fish should not be mixed. Yes some of them can be mixed together but it is not for the better of the fish

Nope, you're completely and utterly misinformed.

I have seen tanks with Mbuna, peacocks, and Haps all together getting along fine. Where you cross into very dangerous waters is mixing lakes. Best to keep Malawi-Tanganyika- SA all separate. Different needs, water conditions and aggression levels.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have seen tanks with Mbuna, peacocks, and Haps all together getting along fine. Where you cross into very dangerous waters is mixing lakes. Best to keep Malawi-Tanganyika- SA all separate. Different needs, water conditions and aggression levels.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Even some Tangs can get along with Malawi's fine.

There's some Mbuna, Peacocks, Haps a couple Fronts and a Trout.

Haha you have a trout in there!? What kind, can you take a pic?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's not his tank.. That's John's tank from KGTropicals..

CC, this an advise forum.. Picking arguments with seasoned aquarists and saying that something works because someone else has done it is not the way to go.. Please check yourself

That's not his tank.. That's John's tank from KGTropicals..

CC, this an advise forum.. Picking arguments with seasoned aquarists and saying that something works because someone else has done it is not the way to go.. Please check yourself

I know it's not my tank. Just an example.

Telling someone to avoid something they want to do isn't okay in my world.

I tell people what they can and can't do with their pets for a living. Fish are no different. There are ethicals says of fish keeping, and less than ethical ways. A fish's needs override a person's wants. Period.

Telling someone to avoid something they want to do isn't okay in my world.

Even if it's for the success of what they're doing? If it's in the best interest of the person and the tank inhabitants? That's not okay in my world.

Even if it's for the success of what they're doing? If it's in the best interest of the person and the tank inhabitants? That's not okay in my world.

That's why I said "IF DONE PROPERLY".

Obviously I won't go and tell someone to stick an Alligator Gar in their 10G community tank, but if they're gonna actually TRY and do it right, then who are you to tell them they can't?

That's why I said "IF DONE PROPERLY".

Obviously I won't go and tell someone to stick an Alligator Gar in their 10G community tank, but if they're gonna actually TRY and do it right, then who are you to tell them they can't?

I can't tell someone anything I want on a forum, doesn't mean they have to listen....

Back
Top Bottom