More GBR and Angelfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I finally found GBR's and the angels I want locally (so now I do not have to order them online YAY!!). I have some questions though. The GBR's are only about an inch long (not including fins), so how can I tell their sex differences? I am hoping for two male female pairs (i am purchasing four). They are not showing much blue, mostly yellow with the black stripe over the eye, and the pink bellies. They have a couple blue spots, but not as much as an adult GBR. Also, can I get away with two pairs in the same tank, or will that cause problems later on down the road?

And on the angels, the ones I want are about 1 3/4". How can I tell the sex differences at that size (I am hoping for one male female pair)? I will be purchasing three so they can pair off naturally.

any thoughts or advice you guys have for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GBR females tend to have rounder pinkish bellies and blue specks in the black spot. The males tend to have sharp pronounced spikes on their dorsal fins. You can certainly start with that number and depending on the tank size and/or territorial issues (if any), you may not have to move them.

Angels primarily cannot be sexed until they actually breed. The problem with this is you could have a "mated" pair of females. During a spawn, one of the females will take on the characteristics of a male. If you can catch them during a spawn, check the breeding tubes, the female will have a conical shape and the male will have a round one.

Angels are very difficult to sex at such an early age. On the other hand, rams are fairly easy to sex when still quite small. At the size you've mentioned, looking for the female's pink bellies is the most trusted method. The fact that all of the rams are exhibiting a pink belly would lead me to believe you're looking at four females. If you can get some pics posted, we could probably tell for sure, though.

The blue spangles in the black dots and the dorsal fins aren't totally accurate sexing methods, in my experience. I've seen males with the spangles. And although it's true that males have extended 2nd and 3rd dorsal fin rays, I've had a couple of large females with the exact same finnage! Sounds crazy, but it's true.

Remember: females have pinkish bellies; males have bluish/purplish bellies. In my time breeding rams, that's always been reliable.

Good luck with the new tank!:)

thanks so much for the tips guys, i will keep all that in mind when I am looking at the rams today. I know I saw quite a few pink bellies, here's to hopin that they have at least two males, as I would like to at least attempt to breed later on. I am so excited that I found them locally, this will same me around $70 on these fish alone!

And on the angels, I guess I will buy three and see what happens there (i do have someone that will take the third when they pair off)

thanks again guys, I am now off to the fish store

Just as a confirmation of above, if they all have a pink belly, they are definitely all female. Where it's hard is there are some females that don't have the bright pink belly, which is then hard to sex them. But a pink belly is a dead give-away. So if the bellies are pink, you have 4 females.

awesome, i am on my way now to purchase them. Hopefully I will be able to find one or two males. I will post pics soon :D

Back
Top Bottom