Most active/aggressive Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides Oscars what is the most active, fun to watch cichlid in your opinion?

My oscars are huge slow moving slugs when compared to the hyped-ADD Africans I keep. I'm not sure they're fun to watch anymore but they certainly are the most active. I breed them for profit but my passion lies with the big boys of central and south america.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you would have Convicts, Dempseys, and Green terrors, right? Which of these have you found to be the most aggressive, how about the most active?

I'm assuming you would have Convicts, Dempseys, and Green terrors, right? Which of these have you found to be the most aggressive, how about the most active?

I keep Honduran Red Points( similar to convicts but extremely colorful) ,a mated pair of oscars, Red Terror Festae, Jaguars and Trimacs which the last three are in my top 5 most aggressive list. Out of your list it's a tough call between if the convicts are breeding or the Jack's, most Green Terrors I've owned have been tenacious but not overly aggressive.

while its fascinating when fish fight, i dont really consider fighting a good trait to look for ;)

i prefer to see them just doing whatever they do, no stress, depending on their personality.

labidochromis caureleus (sp?) electric yellow is fascinating to watch because mine seem really chilled, but extremely fascinated with everything i add or change.
if i add a lava rock, they go in and explore the floor , the walls, the ceiling, they swim out a hole then turn and look back at the hole, swim under/around/through everything and examining every inch of it closely.

other fish just go "meh" and swim on through without a 2nd thought.

labidochromis hongi.. he's a 'ranga' :)

i gave him a "mrs hongi" the other day, but he was pissed off about it for some reason.
his ginger/orange dorsal fin, belly, and face markings really started to glow brighter, his body colours (hes a teen -> adolescent) went from a brown to almost a skin tone pink, flared fins etc.
truely spectacular colour change depending on his emotion.

Back
Top Bottom