Most aggressive mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TampaTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I hear that either the demonsi or the bumblebee is the most aggressive mbuna but wanted to get everyone's thoughts. What do you think the most aggressive mbuna is?

TampaTank said:
I hear that either the demonsi or the bumblebee is the most aggressive mbuna but wanted to get everyone's thoughts. What do you think the most aggressive mbuna is?

My demonsi does nothing but hide all day...

What's the best way to add them to a tank? We have a 75 gallon tank looking to do mbunas only but want to do mix mbunas, prob around 18-20, will they work in a mix mbuna tank? Thanks!

I have a 8" male bumblebee that ive never had a problem with until i put 3 females in for him. He killed all 3 females in 5 hours. They were large females too at about 6" each. He doesnt bother any of the other fish though.

Thanks cichlid-dude. We're they all female bumblebee? Do mbuna only go after same species female or any mbuna female? Thanks again.

Yes they were female bees. But mbuna will crossbreed with others. My bumblebee tries to mate with my female ice blues but they want nothing to do with him.

Aratus and johonnis are the most aggressive ive owned in my experiance. My aratus is half the size of my other mbuna and shes been holdin her own for years

TampaTank said:

In my experience the auritus, and blue johanni are the most aggressive in the mbunas. Over all the males of any type seem to be the most aggressive.

My male Kenyi is definitely the tank boss but he's not overly aggressive towards any other fish. He will occasionally chase a fish away from his cave and will break up fights but that's it.

I rehomed a johanni that was relentless. He was definitely the most aggressive fish I have had.

I never had an auratus and after reading this thread I think I never will!

Thanks for all the help everyone. This will definitely help our fish selection. What is the difference between the johanni and the auratus? They look to be the same fish. Thanks again!

TampaTank said:
Thanks for all the help everyone. This will definitely help our fish selection. What is the difference between the johanni and the auratus? They look to be the same fish. Thanks again!

Johanni

image-2997679809.jpg

Auratus

image-4221240006.jpg

Male and female of both.They actually belong to the same family.
Hope this helps :)

No he hasnt touched the ice blues. He has only killed other bumblebees.

Back
Top Bottom