Moving breeding convicts to a 50 gallon with a firemouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalebZachary

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this possible? I have a 50 gallon and am cycling it. I have a pair of breeding convicts (Male is about 3 1/2 Inches, female is 2 1/2) And a firemouth I believe is Male about 3 Inches. If I moved them all to the 50 gallon, and provided adequate hiding spots, would they be okay? Would the FM eat the fry/eggs? Would it be better to add another FM into the mix or some dither? Just looking for opinions.
smile.png

I have a breading pair about the same size as yours, they are with an almost 6 inch Oscar, 4.5 inch jack Dempsey, a silver cat fish, a far and 2 turtles. And they have no problem raising fry. They own their section of the tank.
Skip the breeder box. I sucked out all the fry, took about 45 minutes with a turkey Baster, and as soon as I finished the jack Dempsey sicken them out in about 3 minutes. I missed about 15, now there are about 12, and they are getting bigger. Bottom live convicts are beasts. They will be fine almost no matter what you do to them.

I don't know that I would say mean. But they are tough, and they don't take s from anyone

I doubt your meeki would survive their onslaught...I've actually had my hand bitten by spawning convicts for getting too close

Breeding convicts need to be alone. They don't need a huge tank initially though unless they're close to full size. You could eventually keep your female in a large community tank with robust fish though, they're usually only mildly aggressive with no male around.

Back
Top Bottom