Moving house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidsteve83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so here's my problem, I've got 1 electric blue jack Dempsey, 2 green severums & 2 convict cichlids, but due to me being in the army I've been posted to Germany! It's gonna take me 4 days (over the weekend :-( ) to get to my new location (I'm driving) How can I transport my fish & sustain them for this long?

If you can get ahold of some Kordon breather bags they should be able to make the trip in those just fine. One fish per bag, and keep them in a cooler with a heat pad to keep the temperature warm and stable. Good luck with the move!

Make sure they have enough oxygen in the bag, and make sure the water temp doesnt fluctuate too much and they should be fine. I drove 19 hours with african cichlids and they made it no problem.

Wow. Umm I would almost keep them in buckets with air hoses in them. 4 days is a long time in bags.

Just like the two previous posters. I would keep them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and drill 1/8" hole to run a air line into it. You don't necessarily need an air pump but you can blow some air into the water every so often. A battery operated air pump would be the safest option. Try to keep the windows closed while driving and a consistent ambient temp in the car. During the night while you sleep drop a heater into the buckets. Don't feed them at all during this trip so that water parameters aren't insane.

I think the battery air pump is a given; or your regular air pump plugged into converter - whichever. Good Luck.

You could always email a company that ships fish and ask very nicely if they could give you something or for a small price...

Back
Top Bottom