Moving large fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering what is the best way to move a large fish say over 8" after acclimating them to the tank temp and parameters. This would be a new fish so not between your own tanks. I always want the least possible contamination coming from the lfs. Is it ok to do it by hand? Wondering how everyone else does it.

I'm confused Mike, why not use a net? Here is my latest rescue a 13" Amphilophus labiatus in which I used a 5g bucket and a 10" net. Using your hands is fine as well as long as they're wet, or I've wrapped them in a wet towel too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,669
Last edited:
Well stupid me forgot to buy a larger net :banghead: and the largest i had was to small so I did a quick transfer with my hand.

He has been in a 20 at the lfs for a couple months

Attachments

• 1471823_613387902060368_1847492186_n.jpg
    1471823_613387902060368_1847492186_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 692
His color is much better than the pic. The glass on the tank has a nasty haze and the phone camera isn't that great either. Yea he came from tropiquatics Im guessing some one turned him in. They usually only have fish that size when some one dont want it any more.

That Amphilophus labiatus looks great! will it leave the dithers alone or ....?
I moved my dithers out of the severum tank and put them with the carpintis. Hes loving it and so far cant catch them.

Funny you mention that as I just removed the last 7 of 13, he's been in there since Thursday.

My carpintis was in that tank and never bothered them, this guy I can hear at night thrashing the tank trying to catch them. But he's alone now and hands down the most entertaining and interactive fish I've ever owned, and considering how many cichlids I've had that says a lot.

That's awesome! Glad you got him. Unfortunately the midas/red devil I had was just too skittish for me. I don't know maybe i just didn't give him enough time.

That's awesome! Glad you got him. Unfortunately the midas/red devil I had was just too skittish for me. I don't know maybe i just didn't give him enough time.

This one is really angry and try's to kill my cat through the glass, it's hysterical. He's already bit me once and I have to use the python to keep him away, I've had some interesting fish but he's funny and follows me around the room and wags his tail like a dog when I'm getting ready to feed him.

This one is really angry and try's to kill my cat through the glass, it's hysterical. He's already bit me once and I have to use the python to keep him away, I've had some interesting fish but he's funny and follows me around the room and wags his tail like a dog when I'm getting ready to feed him.

That right there is great. First time i busted out laughing all weekend.
Thank you.

Beautiful Severum you have there Mike. If I'm not mistaken don't you have a red spot?

Thanks.
I have 2 red spots 1 green and the new gold. I'm really liking the sevs.
I had to put the heckelii's down. They had hlle real bad along with constant other health problems. I still have the 3 geophagus with the sevs and they are doing good.

Sorry about the heckelli's, I too had issues with red heads and finally have two really nice red heads from an online order. Will you ever get heckelli's if they were available again?

Sorry about the heckelli's, I too had issues with red heads and finally have two really nice red heads from an online order. Will you ever get heckelli's if they were available again?

Probably not. I have read that they really need a ph below 7 to avoid stress and HLLE. As a matter of fact im waiting to see what my geos are and may rehome them also. They deff are not tapajos. I think im going to get rid of the multis also when I get the 125 in feb. For me I think 3 tanks is enough to take care of properly.

Back
Top Bottom