Mowana Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheapeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend of mine visited her LFS recently, and the manager (I think it was) told her told her of a new classification of Cichlids called Mowana Cichlids.
Well since either her nor I could find any information on (Mowana Cichlids) I'm wondering if there is such a thing? Or was this LFS just confused about the Malawi <(sp) Cichlids. And gave her information just trying to sound smart.

Any Info on this so called Mowana Cichlid if there is such a thing is greatly appreciated to fix the confusion I am feeling.

Thanks, Sharon in Minnesota

Odd. Cichlids are often referred to by the region they are from--Malawi, Tanganyika, etc. He might have been referring to Mbuna--Malawi cichlids that live among rocks and mouth brood, but they are not new.

That's what I told my friend but she says he insisted they were called Mowana Cichlids.
I think he was stupid and tried to sound like he was smart by telling her a load of crap thinking she would never know any different.
Other then that I can't think of any logical explanation for the wording of Mowana, when it's really Malawi.
Thank God she didn't buy any fish from the store, she decided to ask for help in her plight for knowledge about the unknown fish before buying.

Is that the correct spelling? Did the LFS person say where the region of Mowana was or where Mowana cichlids originate? Cichlids are very diverse, so I won't rule it out, but it seems odd a LFS person would know about it and googling for it turns up strange links.

I'm not sure because i wasn't there I just know what she told me. She did spell it Mowana. I did find it on Livefishdirect.com but it wasn't real clear as to if they were their own classification or what.
I'm betting he said Malawi and she misunderstood or forgot by the time she got home. Who knows really.
I just thought I would ask others in case maybe I was missing out on something and couldn't find the information myself when i looked it up.

Thanks for the help,
Sharon in Minnesota

I found a bit of info, but just a tiny bit on a site called users.bigpond.net.au by doing a google search for mowana cichlid. Says it's "a cichlid fish that subsists in hot alkaline Lake Magadi of Kenya, Oreochromis alcalicus grahami"
Other than that, all I could find was jounal entries and/or sites to visit. Wierd. Maybe the lfs was right, hard to say. I would no doubt have to visit the lfs to find out what he was talking about if it is local to you. Or make a phone call. :)

Back
Top Bottom