Mozambique Tilapia and Red Devil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCB0612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I got 3 "Hawaiian Gold" Tilapia for my pond- all around 8''. I was wondering wether i could put a 6-7" R.D. in my 70 gallon pond. It currently only houses 3 tilapia and a few pond snails. It has a lot of hiding spots FYI.

Thx
Luke B.:fish2:

The red devil would more than likely claim the entire pond and kill the tilapias. 70 gallons isn't even really enough for a red devil on its own

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with that, Rd would take it over.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a smaller one and it may work but will out grow the pond fast so I would suggest digging a bigger hole.

How about adding a tiger Oscar? I would they get along well with the tilapia?

Oscars mayyybbbeee. Just because I've had a few and seem to only attack when challenged, but I need a second opinion on that, you have to make sure you don't harm your tilapia.

I would say a catfish or a semi aggressive Cichlid.

Actually a green terror may work but I wouldn't put just one and the size of the pond would have to be bigger.

Again, this is only a 70 gallon. That is a very small sized pond. Add to that any leaf litter or other organic waste that falls in and decays, and you're looking at increased ammonia/nitrite/nitrate amounts from a standard aquarium potentially. Keep it simple, stick with the tilapia. If I'm not mistake, mozambiques get good sized as it is

A quick google search shows they reach 14" and up to 2.5lbs. That's a good sized fish. When these are full grown, that pond will be overstocked as it is

Last edited:
I have a 75 gallon, bigger than your pond, and ive learned first hand not to mix RD in anything less than 6 foot.

Also, having 3 foot-long fish in there is already a problem, unless you get really lucky. Don't count on that. I wouldn't add an Oscar, they are really not meant to be with anything other than another Oscar, to make a breeding pair, or smallish bottom feeders in a tank of ~90 gallons.

I would say, add nothing else. Period.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Also be prepared that there is a small market for tilapia in the hobby. They breed like rabbits from what I've heard and are quite difficult to unload. Just a heads up, most of the larger tilapia are food fish, not super common as aquarium inhabitants

Well if you get hungry....

Personally, i would get that pond up to the size of at least a few hundred if not a thousand gallons, and then you can really start to get some fish in there. I assume you are talking about an outdoor pond (not sure what else it could be) and a few hundred gallons really doesn't gale up too much of your space in your yard or wherever. A 10x10 or an 8x8 with a depth of ~3 ft would be an amazing space to have a lot of animals, you can stock pretty much anything thats usually available in this hobby in a pond like that. It wouldn't be too big and it would be awesome.

But for now, don't add in anything else.

Actually a green terror may work but I wouldn't put just one and the size of the pond would have to be bigger.

Im not sure if you understand he has 3 fish that get over a foot long in a pond of 70 gallons. These alone are too much. A large catfish, especially a predatory one, or another big cichlid is really, REALLY stressing all boundaries of territory and parameters. Adding things to a pond that small will involve death, no two ways about it...

Also be prepared that there is a small market for tilapia in the hobby. They breed like rabbits from what I've heard and are quite difficult to unload. Just a heads up, most of the larger tilapia are food fish, not super common as aquarium inhabitants

Haha convicts of the old world

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's why I said it has to be bigger.

Well your telling him he could maaayyyybbeee add fish even though he has a tiny area for them... And, in my opinion, you didn't emphasize that he needs to "dig a bigger hole" (like the phrasing of that ?) and he is just going to go with what he want to hear i think...

But again, i would be happy if he didn't add anything and thus proved me wrong!

Well I'm sorry I didn't elaborate! So blahhhhhhh!

That being said lol I did state it needs to be bigger, how big? That's up to how much room you got and what's going on. Like a pic would help

Well I'm sorry I didn't elaborate! So blahhhhhhh!

Im not sure if you think I'm being rude, I'm not trying to :)

I just am under the impression, i could be wrong, that this person is just trying to get an answer he wants to hear and it would be better to give details, because they will help him out in the long run...

Meant no disrespect...

Back
Top Bottom