my 55 gallon cichlid tank---still not quite right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Im still not satisfied but im not sure what's missing, ive got lots of rocks, a few plants.. tons of caves, and the fish are growing wonderfully. But something's still not quite right to me. Any suggestions????

img_571185_0_5d239f31536267835e15ca15b2dd9616.jpg

img_571185_1_499410272bba1d7c889d82cccb780633.jpg

img_571185_2_2435ee1beedb9533c647f50488667bb1.jpg

img_571185_3_7067dd201b3dfb565bdf1e97fbddd325.jpg

QTOFFER said:
Looks great to me! (y)
Those are the stones you found, right?
yes i got them from my grandma... her road used to be limestone so its limestone and flint. She uses a bunch of the rocks for landscaping in her yard but has a lot of extra.

jrp1588 said:
taller plants?
i had some taller plants in the back but it looked really stupid.. lol. I wish i could do more lowlight live platns but im afraid the cichlids would tear them apart. Right now i just have some anacharis that always gets dug up and some fake swords.

jmo--but i think the rocks really overpower the tank--they form such a strong and compact shape in the middle--with the plants almost as afterthoughts on the sides. it seems like you need some more integration of rocks and plants--and some more "depth" to the tank. the rocks seem like a great big solid wall. maybe if there were some spaces, or some variation in the compostion. maybe some height differences in the rock formation would help. it just seems a little one dimensional. i think if you break up the "wall" a little, and have some height variation, and some more plants, it would look really nice. it would also be easier to appreciate the individual rocks for their beauty, instead of having them as part of a uniform piece.

just my opinion.

i do agree crazy cat but i piled and repiled the rocks ... lol and the seem to form teh most caves this way. Any other way and i felt like i was hiding parts of the rocks. Also if i make a lower wall then it looks like to much empty space at the top. And all the plants i have are too short for the back.. well actually with the airstone theires not really room for plants in the back!!! lol.

What does your instinct tell you is missing? Sometimes we have to rely on instinct. I think the tank looks great but you are the one that needs to be happiest with it.

well im happy with it for now ... ill probably completely rearrange the rocks in a month or so... lol. IM always rearranging this tank.

Back
Top Bottom