Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

mY 60 gallon hex

Hello all. I just put the finishing touches on my 60 gallon hex tank which I plan on putting some mbunas in.. I know that this tank isn't the ideal tank to put cichlids in, but I plan on putting some colorful mbunas in and focusing more on the smaller ones..

Open to suggestions- crituques etc

kee

Old 02-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The tank size/shape is just fine for cichlids. I would create bottom shelves with larger rock pieces and build upwards so that there is enough crevices throughout the bottom/middle water columns. You can throw in a couple "stick-pieces" of driftwood if you want to break up a "boulder themed" tank. Other than that, good to see it up and running

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for that feedback! I tried to structure the rockwork to be higher- but it keeps toppling.. The rocks are VERY big/heavy etc.. If I could focus the camera more on the tank (and I will try to retake some to showcase) but there are quite a few caves/tunnels. I just snapped some pics with my blackberry to get a 'before' pic- then hopefully a stunning 'after'

kee
Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I finally get to see the project that we have been talking about in chat.

Looks good so far. I think it would like so much better if you could get some more rocks and stack that higher, but I read that they kept toppling over, so that might be a problem. If it is a huge problem, you could by some slate and start stacking that, you can make so many caves and such with slate, I have some in my cichlid tank and it works pretty well.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, try adding some live, or good looking fake plants. I never had plants in my cichlid tank. I just recently adding some fake plants and it make it look sooooo much better. Even though most people avoid even fake plants in cichlid tanks because of the fact that cichlids live in rocky, sand, not really planted, enviorments.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks Ben! We just now got done re arranging again- and we were able to acheive some more height (which I think it looks better) and I thought the same thing about adding some fake plants- just a couple.. keep the feedback coming!

rearranged to get more height

close up to show caves etc
Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Don't throw a rock at me, but another option in aquascaping is to line large rocks on the bottom following the contours of the aquarium (circle), adding flat pieces as shelves whichever way you please, and continue building like an open pyramid. I notice many of your rocks look to be very round and squat so I would go hunting for some reasonably flat pieces (slate is a good option as previously mentioned)
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks better, but I see few actual caves. I see a lot of holes, but no caves. Try for more caves some how
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

okay- I added a couple plants.. It jazzed it up some

Excuse my kid's hands- they're getting antsy- I am too LOL

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any updates Kee? I'ts been like 2 months lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i love big hex tanks like that. a buddy of mine in college had one just like that. he had an oscar, a jack dempsey and a pleco in it. they all got pretty big and seemed to get along fine in there.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by klc9100 View Post
i love big hex tanks like that. a buddy of mine in college had one just like that. he had an oscar, a jack dempsey and a pleco in it. they all got pretty big and seemed to get along fine in there.
Not exactly a tank suitable for any of those fish.
To the OP the tank looks great

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the compliment klc

Here are more updated pics of my tank- and its still different now lol. The fish are alive and well- haven't lost a single one and gonna add more

kee
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

Newest Shot- now what should I put in it??

Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 4 foot Mbuna tank and wish I had a 6 foot tank. I think hex tanks are not good for Mbuna. They like to swim. Just my opinion. But I think if you do some research on line you will read the same thing about them. Great looking tank though, just dont think for that particular type of fish.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

I truly live by that addage to each their own when it comes to tanks. I personally don't like long tanks- but hey thats me. I've kept mbuna in there before and they did awesome! Until my son poured a cup of coffee in there lol. So it was by no means the tank's fault. Thanks for the 'feedback' though and glad you love your tank (just like I love mine)

kee

*ps- do you have ANY suggestion as to what would go nice in there?*
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of my research lately has been Mbuna. Sorry, wouldnt give opinions on something that I havent researched. And like you said, they are just opinions. My communities are mostly neons, cherry barbs, danios....etc. Anything other than that are fish that I have rescued.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

ive researched quite a bit on mbunas for the past month and asked many people , each person as well as my research tells me that Pseudotropheus Saulosi would be a great addition. they get to about 4 inches and with 1 male and few females they can flourish. hope this helps

Tags
60 gallon, hex

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com