My 75 gallon mixed African tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
As many of you know I've battled a few things with my fish and tank. I had some NitrAte issues and other diseases etc... I made a decision tonight and it hurt to do it. I removed all PLANTED Anubias in an effort to be able to better gravel vac the tank :(

I did it for the health of my fish. I know ALOT of members loved my heavily planted Cichlid tank and the plants were all doing well BUT they hindered my efforts to perform a really good vac. So here is the tank with no PLANTED Anubias everything you see is glued down. So what do you think. I was sad but in the long run it will make maintenance.

It opened the tank up a bit as well. I guess those 12+ planted made a deference.

View attachment 87518

View attachment 87519

View attachment 87520

Hope I didn't disappoint.

Here's a before picture. Also you'll notice the before was taken later in the day so the daylights are off.

View attachment 87521

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
It's still beautiful!! I think it looks even better to tell you the truth. :) not as busy.

Thanks Mumma! You know I value your opinion.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
Are those special cichlid rock caves?

Yes there called Cichlid stones.

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh wow! Still rad tho ;)

Thanks!! It was painful taking out all those plants. But I did it for the health of the fish and it will be sooooo much easier to gravel vac. So it had to be done.

So when you say your Anubis aren't planted, do you mean you glued them to the decorations? If so, they will they turn brown?

So when you say your Anubis aren't planted, do you mean you glued them to the decorations? If so, they will they turn brown?

By planted I mean the ones in the ground(gravel) the ones glued are doing fine. Actually they all are. I removed the ones in the substrate to make it easy to gravel vac. I haven't had any issues with the Anubias that have been glued the driftwood or rocks.

They still thrive if they are glued?

Haven't had any issues like I said. You don't glue the whole thing. You use a small bead and glue it down. Now I have roots wrapping around rocks an stones. Looks really good.

Malawi Freak said:
Soooooo. What did you do with all those plants.

My friend came here (fast too) guess for free plants you kinda make time. Anyway he has a small I guess you would call it a community tank? Neons, rummy noses etc... He took them all :(

I'm hoping now that the entire front is wide open it will make gravel vacs easier.

Back
Top Bottom