my acei spit her babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got my breeder net in the mail last night. Put it together and put my female in it. When I woke up this morning there are at least a dozen fry. I havent counted how many exactly yet. Talk about good timing. My breeder net came in with the netting comming apart a bit at the seams, enough that the fry could get out but the big ones can't get in. So im driving to petco to get a new breeder net as soon as they open. This is my first batch of fry, she ate the last ones. Im very excited. I will post pics after I get them in the new net.

You can start feeding them right away.I fed my fry twice a day for the first week or so on ground down flake and I haven't lost a fish to date.Hope this helps and congrats :D

Thank you! Im thinking I may buy a 10gal set up for them. And when I don't have fry I can use it as a qt tank. I can cut my existing filter pad from my emperor 400 to fit the new filter along with half tank water from my 75, and kinda bypass cycling right?

That sounds like an excellent idea and yes using your current filter pad in you new filter would give you a massive head start on cycling.You can put the mother back in the main tank anytime now.In fact the sooner the better before she becomes too unfamiliar with the other fish.

Yep. Its a 15 gal tank with 10 gal filter though. Picked up another breeder net. Just gonna set up my 29 gal for them. I just got home and counted 23!. I let one drop into the tank by accident, he lasted less than a second. :(

That sounds ideal for fry and yeah the adults will gobble them up like sweets.My fry are about 3/4" long and I'm unsure if I should try them in the big tank.Trouble is I have 5 holding females in the main tank and I'd like to strip them into my fry tank but worry they would be eaten.

Os it normal for them to just them to sit on the bottom of the breeder net? Im afraid transferring them to the other breeder net may have been stressful.

It's perfectly normal :) in a day or so they will be swimming around like loonies.It's a whole new world for them so it will take a little time to get used to it.

It depends a lot on the space they are in.They will grow quicker in a bigger space.Ideally 10 or 20 gallons to themselves.I realise this is not always possible.In the right space they could make an inch in 2 to 3 months.Some will grow quicker than others.These will most likely be the dominant ones.

garfy said:
It depends a lot on the space they are in.They will grow quicker in a bigger space.Ideally 10 or 20 gallons to themselves.I realise this is not always possible.In the right space they could make an inch in 2 to 3 months.Some will grow quicker than others.These will most likely be the dominant ones.

Icic. Im setting up my 29 when I get off tonight, so hopefully they will grow fast! Can I bypass cycling if i use sand that I took out of the main tank about a week ago, along with established tank water and filter pads?

Your sand won't make any difference at all imo but established water and filter pads will help immensely.Dont let the filter pads dry out under any circumstances or you will lose your good bacteria.It lives on the surface of your filter pads and needs to be in water to survive.

Congrats that is awesome!! I have approx 75 Acei fry right now, 2 of my females were holding at the same time...lol. Sounds like you're doing everything right :) Mine are all in a 29, they are growing pretty fast!

Back
Top Bottom