my Angels spawned!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaradio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
LOL i'm so fucking lucky ppl! I bought some fish like a week ago and already some of them spwaned first my female ram (I have to find a male for her)
and now my angels, I only bought them like a week ago, I bought two angels one big and one small, and already they spawned! does this mean they are male or female or its like with ram that lay eggs even if there arent any males around?

about 5inch
BTW they ate the egge like an hour ago, next time I'll try to move the eggs to a none community tank...

It is very common for two females to behave like a mated pair. The female who does not lay the eggs will take on all the characteristics of a male, including simulating fertilizing, fanning and protecting the spawning site.

The small one sounds a little immature to be a dad, unless of course, they are the same age which is unlikely.

yup the small one....
how could i know if they are a pair or male and female?

Well that is interesting to find out that females will act like a mating pair. I did not know that. I'd say I learn something new every day but on AA I learn several new things everyday.

Nice time you see them spawning, watch the large one and see if it's a he. If he follows the female and fertilizes the eggs (you can tell if you look carefully), you've got yourself a pair.

Right - catch one of them in the act of laying the eggs (no chance she's a he that is faking it, lol) and then watch for the male to come along after her and release milt. You can watch them for several spawns and it should become evident. It often takes several spawns before they get it right, anyway. Congrats! This is one of the cool things about keeping cichlids. :D

don't know if anyone else mentioned but ou can also tell by their breeding tubes. When they are ready to spawn their breeding tubes should come out and .. well i forget which is which, but one will be longer and thinner and the other will be shorter and wider. That is really the only true way to sex angels.

TankGirl said:
Males is longer and thinner, females is shorter and wider (to release eggs).

Thanks tankgirl... i dont know why i just spontaneously forgot which was witch :roll:

thanks all for the replays! :D I will do it next time, the small one is the female for sure(I saw her lay them) is the other a male? I will know in about 2 weeks..

Back
Top Bottom