My cichlid is holding EGGS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so my Johanni female hasnt been eating so I looked and saw that her mouth was really big and I could tell that she was holding her EGGS!! I'm so exited but I need help I don't know what to do this is my first batch of eggs ever!

Soooooooooo no ones gonna help me?this is the best app for fish and aquariums!-_-

Hi. I'll help as much as I can. They hold for almost 3 weeks. I usually net mine and put them in a breeding net. She will eventually spit them out or you can strip them when you think the 3 weeks are about up. If your not sure how to do that look up cichlid stripping on you tube. Hope this helps out.

silllywilly86 said:
Hi. I'll help as much as I can. They hold for almost 3 weeks. I usually net mine and put them in a breeding net. She will eventually spit them out or you can strip them when you think the 3 weeks are about up. If your not sure how to do that look up cichlid stripping on you tube. Hope this helps out.

Thanks it's been about 3 days lol I will look on YouTube and can she stay in a 10 gallon by her self??

Yes she would be fine in that, however you may have issues with returning her back to the main tank. Id let her hold in the main tank, strip the fry into the ten and return her immediately. Bear in mind that if its her first hold she may not be successful. Sometimes they can spit prematurely or swallow them until they get the hang of it. So if that happens try not to get too dissappointed

I had a group of yellow labs that bred like crazy. What I did was set up a 10 gallon with sand bottom, heater and a HOB filter. I covered the intake of the filter with nylon to keep from sucking up the fry. Then I let the holding mother stay in the tank with the others until I could see that the fry had eyes (about 2 weeks). Then I caught the mother and stripped them into the small tank and raised them alone. Fed them finely crushed flakes.

AprilMartinez said:
I'm so jealous. Good luck on the new editions and I hope things go right for you.

cichlid_tank619 said:
I had a group of yellow labs that bred like crazy. What I did was set up a 10 gallon with sand bottom, heater and a HOB filter. I covered the intake of the filter with nylon to keep from sucking up the fry. Then I let the holding mother stay in the tank with the others until I could see that the fry had eyes (about 2 weeks). Then I caught the mother and stripped them into the small tank and raised them alone. Fed them finely crushed flakes.

Can I put her In the 10 gallon and let her raise them I really don't want to strip them from her:/

Ryleyman said:
Can I put her In the 10 gallon and let her raise them I really don't want to strip them from her:/

The mother would be fine with the fry because by nature she is there to provide a safe place (her mouth) from predators. I just use to keep them separate because I had the fry in a smaller area which was easier to control water parameters. Plain and simple they don't need her.

Leave it be for 3 weeks. Take the male out if you want, they can harass the female and she will end up eating and the eggs. Try not to tempt her with food. I'm guessing that this is her first brood so don't be shocked if she doesn't complete her cycle.

Going on her second week with her eggs :~D soooo excited one of her babies fell out and she scooped him right back up! Here's a pic of what the single fry looked like I didn't get a pic but this is what he/she looked like! P.s. I found the pic off google I would love to know how old they are if any one can tell by the size;)

Attachments

• image-3968446351.jpg
    image-3968446351.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 184
She is in the 10 gallon by her self and she's got a few hiding spots to hide and stuff like that;}

Don't we just LOVE AFRICAN CICHLIDS ;-) they are Soooooo Beautiful in everyway !!!! Personalities which makes them a joy to watch and figure out ;-)

Dean jones said:
Don't we just LOVE AFRICAN CICHLIDS ;-) they are Soooooo Beautiful in everyway !!!! Personalities which makes them a joy to watch and figure out ;-)

Lol SOOOOOO TRUE!

Ryleyman I've only kept African cichlids for 6 months now,yet been a fish keeper for 30 years mate ;-) and African Cichlids are by far my favourite fishes ? My Africans watch me when I turn my light off in the tank mate ;-) And I'm then watching TV,yet there still watching my every move mate ? Crazy fish no ? Very intelligent YES... Bolly12345 on YouTube is a friend who is a class act on African Cichlids ;-) check him out mate,trust me you wont be disappointed my friend ;-) And as always,Keep up the Stellar Work ;-)

Dean jones said:
Ryleyman I've only kept African cichlids for 6 months now,yet been a fish keeper for 30 years mate ;-) and African Cichlids are by far my favourite fishes ? My Africans watch me when I turn my light off in the tank mate ;-) And I'm then watching TV,yet there still watching my every move mate ? Crazy fish no ? Very intelligent YES... Bolly12345 on YouTube is a friend who is a class act on African Cichlids ;-) check him out mate,trust me you wont be disappointed my friend ;-) And as always,Keep up the Stellar Work ;-)

Lmao I've been subscribed to him for about 3 months now :')

Back
Top Bottom