My ebjd is on a food strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattckf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 2 year old ebjd is refusing to eat - he grabs food but spits it out. what can I do?

Attachments

• image-3253029946.jpg
    image-3253029946.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 117
Welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately what your experiencing is somewhat common with EBJD, they have a weaker immune system which leads to a shorter life span. I would start treatment for internal parasites quickly, head to Petsmart or your local store and look for Tetras Parasite Guard or Prazipro by Hikari. Follow the instructions and perform 3 full treatments, don't feed during treatment, and leave out the lights as well since Metrozoidale is affected by light.

Good luck as I hope it works out.

My 2 year old ebjd is refusing to eat - he grabs food but spits it out. what can I do?

How many inches is your EBJD after 2 years?

As Hukit said, this is a very common problem with EBJD's and you'll want to treat as soon as possible.

5x5 said:
How many inches is your EBJD after 2 years?

As Hukit said, this is a very common problem with EBJD's and you'll want to treat as soon as possible.

After 2 years - my ebjd is 6" long - tail to snout.

I finally discovered metronidazole for treating my ebjd. After 5 days of treatment - he is up and about and eating with a great appetite!

I finally discovered metronidazole for treating my ebjd. After 5 days of treatment - he is up and about and eating with a great appetite!

Glad to hear of your success but keep in mind that good tank hygiene and maintanence may have prevented this from happening in the first place. Cichlids, especially larger ones, create a dirtier environment than smaller fish so their tanks should be cleaned more often and their filters should be slightly oversized as well.

Just something to think about ;)

Im glad to hear he's eating. Thats a beautiful fish btw.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to save your EBJD. I lost one of juvenile EBJD about a month ago due to similar symptoms and the water paremeters in the tank were 100% on point. Where did you purchase metronidazole and how did you dose the tank to save your EBJD? I just wanted to know in case any of my other fish were affected in the future.

I got it from my local fish store on Delancey St, NYC. Or u can Goggle it for over the counter brand products like Fish Zole or Seachem

I got the medication in powder form. Dose was 3 teaspoon for

I got the medication in powder form. Dose used was 1/4 teaspoon for 30g

Back
Top Bottom