my Electra ate too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kilimanyaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It look like my Electra ate too much. He is bloating and he barely moves close to the suffice. Is there anything I can do to help him.

ForumRunner_20130215_225834.jpg

It look like my Electra ate too much. He is bloating and he barely moves close to the suffice. Is there anything I can do to help him.

When did you feed last? How long has it looked like that? Looks bloated and they may be a bad sign. Do you have a hospital tank?

He ate yesterday for the last time. I think he ate a few medium size pellets. And I don't have a hospital tank. Can I use a bucket?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130215_232555.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130215_232555.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 112
If you don't have a hospital tank then just keep an eye on him. Have you goggled Malawi Bloat? Look it up and see if any of that matches your case. It's definitely bloated.

The plus to this is... I've had a few fish bloat up and a day or 2 later they were fine.

Skip a feeding and watch him.

Sorry I can't help more. Hopefully more experienced forum members will chime in.

Sometimes they will pull threw it on their own or with some peas. Your dude looks pretty bad i would get him in a tote a bucket or something that you can add a small filter and a heater to. You can add a little epson salt try to feed peas and use Metronidazole meds If he is eating its best to give it to them in food. I believe the site i give to you below has a powder and also a flake food. Another member here showed me this place so i ordered it and am keeping it in stock in case of an emergency.
Fish Antibiotic Medication

Last edited:
He ate yesterday for the last time. I think he ate a few medium size pellets. And I don't have a hospital tank. Can I use a bucket?

I use excel that one may be made for sa\ca or African river fish that can handle higher protein. But again I'm not sure. I'd stop feeding for several days to see if it improves. When you go back to feeding feed less than you do now. Also look into getting smaller ones like the baby.or mini size

Cichlid gold is pretty high in protein. I would switch to hikari excel or something with less protein.

I think u should skip a few feedings and feed veggies more often, and also switch the foods those pellets are to high in protein

Thank you guys for your help...
Unfortunately my fish died.
When you said to give them more veggies, what kind of food is that?
I'm giving this food as well. Is it ok?

ForumRunner_20130217_222358.jpg

ForumRunner_20130217_222358.jpg

Veggies in like luttuce cucumber spinach and peas also I wouldn't recommend that food try looking for tetra cichlid cichlid flakes at walmart also blanch the veggies and cut the skin off before serving.

You can get algae wafers or some type of herbivore food or community food. I have the hikari exel that i think andrew mentioned.. i also have the omega one veggie wafers .. then i use repashy but i make my own with 2 parts veggie n 1 part meat (its a gel food you prepare) any algae wafer on sale would do or even the fresh veggies mentioned above.. sry your fish died

Back
Top Bottom