My first cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am making my return to the fishwold after a 5 year absence and this will be my fist cichlid tank. I have many, many questions. I have a 29gl tank that I am planning on filling with 6 giant danios and 1 or 3 female convicts. I am starting out new so I figures the danios I would get to help me cycle and also as a dither. I am not looking to breed any of these fish at the moment. The chances of me getting all one sex of danios is slim to none. So I am most likely going to have breeding danios. My question is: Will the convicts "take care" of the danios fry?

Ive had danios for the past year and havent had them sex, im not saying it wont happen but i havent had it happen. Just my opinion, they might not even sex so if you plan on getting the convicts just to take care of the fry you might want to reconsider. just a thought

Danio offspring won't be a problem.

Thats god to know, I dont know a whole lot about the danios breeding so I want sure.

I planned on getting the convicts anyway. I am drawn to this fish for some reason.

you definitely wont have to worry about danio fry... you might have to worry about actually having danios if you put convicts in though. convicts are cool fish and have alot of personality. chances are, if you get 3, one of them will be killed. also, read the link in my signature on fishless cycling... cycling with fish is not a good route to take imo :)

Giant danios actually tend to freak out the slower moving cichlids. We have about 24 giant danios in with our jack dempseys, firemouth and jewels. They get left alone and they stay right out in the open. Of course, each fish is different and convicts can be some agressive snots like firemouths. But again, we had our's in 55g up until recently, still there was no agression against the danios.

You won't have to worry about the fry though, the convicts will take care of them if yours spawn. Our's never have. From what I've read they are "mop" spawners, they like the roots of floating plants or a synthetic mop type thing to spawn in.

i didnt see the "giant' part lol... but if theyre anything like the ones i had, NOTHING was allowed in their tank. they even attacked my hand every time i had to reach in for something.

Back
Top Bottom