My fish room for Malawis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A while back I did some LED lighing using the cheap 120cm strips of white LEDs from e-bay.
I was introduced to a new and cheap LED light modules. ($3 per module plus shipping from Canada. They cost like $98 all up and I did 4 x 3ft tanks and 2x 6ft tanks. I will do 2x 4ft tanks tomorrow. They come in a string 1 metre long with 10 modules, so I had to cut them to get the spacing right. I spaced them about 30cm (12in) apart so that I could use one less module than the tank length in feet (ie 5 modules for a 6ft tank). I started off using crimps to join the wires but soldering was actually quicker. I linked them into my existing 12V 5A power supply as it had heaps of extra capacity.
Here are a few pics.
img_1336188_0_84271151385da174c1666ca6fa7a6dcc.jpg

img_1336188_1_9ae75e572fb95fa48a5076cd37e0eb0a.jpg

Testing out a sting of 4 modules over 2 of the 3ft tanks.
img_1336188_2_7f1ee1684bc2738902b5c4ee557bed86.jpg

img_1336188_3_f8e5ac86cb61db94af495c60bf6d9364.jpg

A comparison shot of the tanks. Left: the strip lights, Right: New LED modules.
img_1336188_4_86110a0b5068db98473617032bf54056.jpg

They are a lot brighter and have better colour characteristics than the strip lighting.
Most pleased with the result.

Man, you're always busy! They look really nice, keep us updated!

These new LEDs make it easy to set-up lighting on multiple tanks. I still haven't bothered to get more double-sided tape and left a few strips sitting on the glass lids (the tape isn't difficult just a PITA). These come with tape required.

They are brighter, cheaper to buy and use less electricity per tank than the strips!!! Bonus.

I have a question regarding your experience of LED lighting as I just have to replace my bulbs an thinking of LED as possible replacement. Since plants are not my primary aim as I have Tanganyikan cichlids would you recommend LED as a move forward option? If you would have a ready system you wouldn't go for it? The investment in my case wouldn't be more then Extra £20 so price is not an issue.

LEDs will be the next big step in aquarium keeping. They are getting better all the time. Provided you have enought light, that you are happy with the display, there are large energy savings ($$$) to be made. Plus the long life that LED systems can provide.

LEDs will be the next big step in aquarium keeping. They are getting better all the time. Provided you have enought light, that you are happy with the display, there are large energy savings ($$$) to be made. Plus the long life that LED systems can provide.

Thanks I think I give it a go. I have spent almost a month researching on this topic, but couldn't decide. The specific aqua ones are expensive but I just don’t understand why and being clued up enough in electronics I couldn't see why shouldn't I DIY it. My only concern is/was the light temperature and wanted to see others experience with it.

Looks fantastic, when I move out and get a bigger house i wanna do the same. It is stunning :D

Looking healthy and colorful! You are really making me want to do a malawi tank. I've been following this for quite some time. I like the low maintenance aspect of it too! :)

I would love this!! I wish we had a reg basement!! House was built in 1908.... It's short as it is.... Tho I am almost ready to reseal a tank and have a seeded filter ( and plenty of water from other tanks...I'm going to set it up.... My husb prolly won't notice ot for at least a week.... By then well.... Lol

Do u by any chance have lake tanganyika cichlids?

I bought a couple of acrylic breeder boxes to keep new fry in. I'll keep them in this type of thing when they have eggy bellys or are new borns and want them to eat up a bit before adding them to grow out tanks that already have slightly older fish in them.

I would highly recommend a breeder box like this. It is air driven so the fish get 'fresh water', no frames that little fry can get stuck under like the net type fry saver, and best of all it looks neat and is easy to clean.
Here are a couple of pics of it in action.
img_1482723_0_0992d5ea52ad0c53713a500bbcd90d94.jpg

img_1482723_1_e367bef4d04582dada77bdbe33f97fbc.jpg

Never seen such a contraption. I guess its just an air powered HOB from the looks of it. Pretty slick, curious to see how it works out for you in the long run.

I got an egg tumber too, here it is in action.
img_1487424_0_09c00b255a74b64b4d165b970f1eb9f1.jpg

img_1487424_1_01cc4de5ada0841537ed48b1715f5db7.jpg

Also, I got a new (to me) 4ft x16in x 16in tank to grow out peacocks and haps until they colour up a bit.
I have put a mattenfilter at one end, and put a seeded internal filter at the other. This makes the room closer to full capacity.
The water is still a little cloudy.
img_1487424_2_8cbb7dde9f2104569855d7a49220c95a.jpg

img_1487424_3_b4fc7cd2e224c9eafdf356b4a55fd8ea.jpg

I took my time and read almost every little thing of this thread. This is a huge inspiration for me as im already in the process of obtaining a degree in marine biology, and have been taking care of tanks for about 4 years now. I have so much to learn and hope to have a room like this one day. All your work is amazing, congrats on all of this.

Thank you Fishkeeper92.

It is amazing to have have been able to do this. My wife has been very supportive as this has taken up a whole room, our study, which is adjacent to our kitchen. Right in the middle of our house. It is tiring, exhausting, fun, exciting, hard work, a learning curve, enjoyable all rolled into one!

Any advice you can give on breeding cichlids or cichlid setups would also be much appreciated. I do have a question though, i believe you said that you are using play sand, like sand box sand? If not what is it, im trying to find a cheaper alternative to high price fish store sand.

Back
Top Bottom