My frontosa tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437272026.119030.jpgfinished cleaning the remnants of the big fish I had in before,removed the two jewels. Then redecorated, think this is going to be a good relationship:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yellow guy likes schooling with them all the sudden, maybe they are just shook up from the cleaning process. Thanks for the comment btw :D

I've always had a soft spot for fronts, lovely fish! You got a plan for em once they're bigger?

Maybe try and breed them / sell them, if I can than I'll make a little money on the side down the line. But I feel already attached in just a day lol

They are a pretty fish. I read a different thread by you and you seem to have gotten a good deal. Im not much for Africans, but these are possibly my favorite.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They are a pretty fish. I read a different thread by you and you seem to have gotten a good deal. Im not much for Africans, but these are possibly my favorite.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hell yeah these frontosa are awesome, I should say if you ever get a chance to have them they are very tranquil. One of the most peaceful cichlids I've seen.

Make sure you get a tank at minimum of 6' long, and a depth of at least 18", however 24" is much more realistic. Also, if you truly plan to breed, I recommend upgrading sooner rather than later and upping your number by 50-100%. Dominant male frontosa typically do not tolerate sub-dominant males. If seen a mpibwe male even beat a female he has bred with to near death. And that was in a 180 and was stocked appropriately. Basically what I'm trying to say is have 9-12 to start with. That way, you can weed out spare males as they develop, and mold the tank to the desired ratio of 1m-5f (less females is ok, but I would not add more than one male).

Also, the peacefulness may change with time. While they are not hyper-aggressive, they're predatory. Go to YouTube and search for videos of fronts eating other fish, I'm sure there are several, as well as forum threads on other threads.

Thank you for the Info gecko, as they are slow growers I will watch carefully and I can't determine the sex right now, I have 3 other tanks to separate unwanted ones. Trust me I'm not a careless individual.

Thank you for the Info gecko, as they are slow growers I will watch carefully and I can't determine the sex right now, I have 3 other tanks to separate unwanted ones. Trust me I'm not a careless individual.

Not saying that, I'm just saying it's better to grow out more than you need so you can have the desired ratio of adults. I'm growing out 6 uaru amphiacanthoides merely to get a single pair of adults eventually.

Hopefully that works out for you. It'll suck if I have all males but I'm certain there's at least one.

Hopefully that works out for you. It'll suck if I have all males but I'm certain there's at least one.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Having more gives you better odds. Also will make a large tank look more lively with younger fish. Once they show sex, you can remove and sell the unwanted makes, and you are left with much better odds for females. The males you grew out will also fetch you a prettier penny than you paid originally. It's basically an investment

I've heard haps go well with fronts, if so which ones? Pictures help.

A colony of frontosa should be left by themselves..

Back
Top Bottom