my gold ram keeps picking on my bolivian ram :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kramer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a bolivian ram and a small Gold ram. The Gold ram was originally with a german ram from the same tank at the LFS, and they got along fine. The GBR died a month later and I purchased a Bolivian ram to replace it after a couple months with the gold ram being alone.

Since then the gold ram has never accepted the bolivian ram and always chases it away from where they both like to live (the right 2/3 of the tank!). So on thursday I put the gold ram in a small breeder box inside my tank. I was hoping I would make it forget its territory and I released it today, it was going fine for about an hour, but now its back at it chasing the bolivian ram away to the other side. But it doesnt seem to like it over there since it keeps trying to return.

So now I put both the bolivian and gold ram in the breeder together and placed it inside the disputed area. They are getting along with such close quarters. So Im hoping they will get used to each other.

Do you think this might work?

i have a 33 gal tank btw

If they aren't getting along outside the box, then chances are, they won't get along until you get more. For Rams, my recommendations is 3 or more of the same species. Mine got along just fine in my 75G, with 3 Bolivians and 4GRB's. But being by themselves will be hard on them, IMO.

I would have to agree that the difference species of rams require more than one of each species to get along. Putting them both into such small quarters is asking for disaster IMO. When the lights go out, one might just kill the other. I would separate the tank with a divider if possible until you can get more. You might even want to return one and get the other some friends.

yeah this didnt work at all. As soon as I released them the gold went back to its usual self.

Ill try what you said about adding more rams of same species. Another gold and a bolivian I guess. Ill be adding a second tank soon so if it doesnt work I guess I can always separate them.

Back
Top Bottom