Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Jewel has bloat :(

Nd doesn't look good. Is there anything I can do? Are my other fish at risk?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your sure its bloat you need to get some metro...Seachem metro...Its an antibiotic. Your other fish are at risk. I soaked the food in metro and dosed the water. If your jewel is not eating and bloated already. It may be too late.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was afraid it's too late for him. Stomach is swollen and he mainly sits on the substrate. So the other fish are at risk and I should medicate the entire tank? Will it kill off my bacteria and cause an ammonia issue?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Metro is safe for your bacteria. You may want to euthanize him. I would treat your whole tank and then mix up a paste from nls, garlic, and metro. Try to lower stress, keep lights off. keep water perfect as possible. Make sure your only feeding NLS for now. Im not sure what your stock is. Just make sure its what your supposed to be feeding them. Some sources say bloat is caused by food like blood worms, and beef heart. Dosent agree with mbuna.. Also I dont feed my fish on Wednesday. Giving them a fasting day is supposed to help. check out the seachem website for dosing instructions for metro
Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I too give a dating day but unfortunately I'm learning the hard way about the importance of good food. The flake food I've been giving them has 48% protein, I'm reading that protein should be under 40? This sux and I feel so bad for him. Hope the rest of the crew avoid it.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMac
Thanks. I too give a dating day but unfortunately I'm learning the hard way about the importance of good food. The flake food I've been giving them has 48% protein, I'm reading that protein should be under 40? This sux and I feel so bad for him. Hope the rest of the crew avoid it.
Also add epsome salt when you do your next pwc. I add 1tsp per 10 gallons when I suspect bloat. It will also add to the hardness of your water which your fish will like. Some add more but I try to add as little additives to the water as possible. Also feed blanched, deshelled peas once a week imo, it will help their digestion.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks guys. Should I increase water temp to or no?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Ok thanks guys. Should I increase water temp to or no?
It wouldn't hurt, just do it slowly. Higher temp will increase metabolism and digestion.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

the advice was all correct and i hope its going to do well.

what i have heard works well is something to act like a laxative as soon as it starts eating again, like shelled/ blanched peas. but keep on with the treatment to prevent the other fish getting it x
Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most cichlid keepers agree that New life spectrum food is the best.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it ok to leave him in the tank and treat the whole tank or should I get another tank and pull him? I don't have a 2nd tank. Also is it bad to feed him, will he not eat? What about feeding my other guys? I don't wanna not feed any of them but if more food is bad for him what do I do?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Is it ok to leave him in the tank and treat the whole tank or should I get another tank and pull him? I don't have a 2nd tank. Also is it bad to feed him, will he not eat? What about feeding my other guys? I don't wanna not feed any of them but if more food is bad for him what do I do?
Treat the whole tank. Do you have any "scaleless" fish in there? Ifso be careful about your dosage. I would hold off on feeding anything for at least 5 days. They will act hungry but they can go up to 30 without eating. Take a holding female for example.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. No scaleless fish. Good to know about feeding, I know they ALWAYS act starving but I can hold off for awhile. Will that increase aggression or they should be fine? Should I keep the lights off more?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for all the help.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks. No scaleless fish. Good to know about feeding, I know they ALWAYS act starving but I can hold off for awhile. Will that increase aggression or they should be fine? Should I keep the lights off more?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for all the help.
It may increase aggression some but they should be fine. Personally I keep the lights off when treating a tank. It helps them chill out.

Ask away, I will do my best to help. You have good questions, and I know how it is to be worried about something. My mind races with new questions.

Tags
bloat, jewel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com