My Keyhole cichlids are spawning as I type this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undbulsu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can't believe it. I place slate and caves all over for easy removal of the eggs, but they chose a vertical surface of a large rock in an inaccessible area in the corner of my aquarium. So, I guess I will just leave them alone and hope for the best.

Just for some info:
ph: 6.5
gH : @6
kH: @4

Inducements to spawn:

Every other day 10% water changes with RO water
Began running Peat in my canister filter
Feeding with california blackworms

Any suggestions if they manage to get some free-swimming fry? It is a heavily planted aquarium so maybe they will have places to hide

Beautifull to see them spawn, ain't it? :)
You have great water conditions and used good methods to induce spawning, so don't be surprised!
Is this the first time they are spawning? If so, don't be dissapointed if the don't succeed and eat the eggs. My keyholes have never been able to raise fry themselves further then one day in wiggler stage.

Here's a link to my thread on how I raised my keyholes artificially:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53273

You can always remove the hard to get to spawning places......that way you can remove the piece of decoration they spawn on. But do make sure that there are enough flat surfaces that are 'safe' (surrounded by ferns, wood, ......), so they will spawn.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom