My Kribs had Babies... Pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KribKrazyNess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello fellow Krib Lovers!

I posted a few pictures in July of 2008 of my first set of Kribs who had eggs but ended up eating them. Link After that it seemed the pair never had any desire to spawn so I put them in a 20 gallon tank alone hoping more room would help them along. No luck. Then last month I went to see my fish guy Mark and he gave me another pair in hopes that having them all together would influence one of them would spawn. The new pair within two weeks time laid eggs and had their fry!!! I was so happy! I also put the first pair in a 10 gal tank while the first set of fry grow.

Here are some pictures... (click on the box to see the babies)

img_950593_0_2506d3a24f705499564986995125bd86.jpg

img_950593_1_a1804d80fba786f4942b3a2c558ead78.jpg

Video soon!

My next step will be in about 20 days transferring the babies over to a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter(so they won't get sucked up) and when they get big enough I will take them to Mark, my fish guy, for store credit. After I remove the fry from the 20 gallon I will also put the first pair back in with the second pair in hopes of them spawning again.

I am so happy this happened because I needed a lil' uplifting after my cat passed away. It was a real treat to see the fry for the first time... second, third and fourth...!

Happy Spawning!!!
Ness

Very nice! Just wondering. what kind of male is that? Is he a Pelvicachromis Taeniatus " Nigeriran Red"? You dont usually see male kribs( Pelvicachromis Pulcher) with so little barring, and alot of red.

Can't wait for new pic's!

I asked Mark, my fish guy, the same thing and he said the pair were both born from a pair of normal Pelvicachromis Pulcher's. He said they are from the same spawn and are basically brother and sister. Weird huh?

I will be taking more pictures of the family today. They are now about 23 days so they are starting to spread out more and become independent. I love watching them. Its better than TV!

Nessxxx

YAY! It just must be a weird gene the male inheraited. Can't wait for more pic's!

I set up the new home for the fry yesterday. Once they get big enough to separate I will put them in here for them to grow strong and independent. Do you think they will like it?

img_953650_0_a5f7955e47ee8ebae74d410e66b4c9ff.jpg

BTW I was going to take NEW pics of the fry and as I was taking this picture my camera battery died. They are getting bigger and swimming away more. I had to put a stocking around the filter so they would not get sucked up (secret from Mark my fish guy). I am giving them about 15 more days and then I will be moving them. That will not be a fun task!

Just move some media from your tank into teh new one when you put the fry in the tank, instant cycle.

Very nice! The female is looking great, and the fry are good sized. What are you feeding them?

Moved Krib Fry to new tank...

Ok... I moved the fry to their new tank on Sunday(it wasn't the easiest thing to do), but I think I got most of them in there. I left a few in the other tank just to see how the parents will react when they have new fry. I haven't seen the mom in a couple days. I do see her shadow in the cave once in awhile so I think she is laying a new dozen. We shall see.

Fry in new tank(this is not all of them of course)...

img_958425_0_31a2358876b24a6f84e41d88415a3ecd.jpg

Video to come!

Nessxxx

Back
Top Bottom