my LFS cannot get apistogrammas!?? (dwarf cichlids)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
are apistogrammas or other dwarf cichlids really that hard to find?

I live in Sault ste Marie Ontario Canada. Population 75 ,000 people.
There are 2 fish stores here and both tell me they have never carried nor can they order apistogrammas.... I was really hoping to get some cockatoos..
In larger markets are they easy to find? Or are they rare all over?
It's really disappointing to have such limited selection where I live.

I live in Maryland we have a lfs called house of tropicals and they have 4-5 different types of apistos thatbprolly doesn't help your situation your best bet is to buy them online but weight till summer gets cold up there in Canada and they prolky won't ship in winter

I have never "mail ordered" fish before... and I'm only looking for maybe 2 breeding pairs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming there would be a higher min order requirement and very high shipping cost.

I have never "mail ordered" fish before... and I'm only looking for maybe 2 breeding pairs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming there would be a higher min order requirement and very high shipping cost.

They usually don't do a minimum order requirement, unless you get very small fish. You're looking for 4 total Apistos then? They would ship those no problem. "They" being your online retailers. Shipping cost is always an issue though, as overnight shipping is pretty crucial when you're dealing with live animals.

There I go assuming again... I always figured that I would have to order more... does anyone know of a good breeder in Canada? The few American cichlid breeders I looked at have an extra service charge for shipping across international borders. One was 185$!!!

Shipping cost is always an issue though, as overnight shipping is pretty crucial when you're dealing with live animals.

As long as the fish are bagged/packaged appropriately. In either breather bags or larger bags filled with pure oxygen and put in a insulated box with heat or cold packs. Provided there's no extreme in temperatures they can easily survive 2-3 days in the mail.

I have have lots of fish arrive via 2-3 day priority mail and they all made it fine. The shipping cost was also only 10-30 bucks depending on the weight of the box.

As long as the fish are bagged/packaged appropriately. In either breather bags or larger bags filled with pure oxygen and put in a insulated box with heat or cold packs. Provided there's no extreme in temperatures they can easily survive 2-3 days in the mail.

I have have lots of fish arrive via 2-3 day priority mail and they all made it fine. The shipping cost was also only 10-30 bucks depending on the weight of the box.

Yeah, it's just not something I like to do. Although I am glad to hear that it can be done with positive results!

isnt there a super store for aquariums based in canada? big Als? I thought it sounded great. not sure if they ship livestock.

for starters try liveaquaria.com

What company did you order threw predfan?

Aquabid.com. It's a conglomerate of individual sellers. You always need to review the seller before purchasing. I know they have Canadian sellers there, although I don't know if they deal I Apistogramma specifically.

Back
Top Bottom