my new cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So happy now that i have cichlids plan on getting more heres my tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120128_172434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120128_172434.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
Right now i have
2 kenyi
2 aurora
2 dubosis
2 snow white
2 electric yellow lab

xfactor6699 said:
Right now i have
2 kenyi
2 aurora
2 dubosis
2 snow white
2 electric yellow lab

Nice selection! I love the labs!!

Im going to up the schools one more and im also going to also add some bumble bees some cobolts and some jewels

xfactor6699 said:
Im going to up the schools one more and im also going to also add some bumble bees some cobolts and some jewels

Your going to want to try to establish that 1male 3 female ratio. When they reach sexual maturity they will get considerably more aggressive. Also more than one jewel prolly isnt a good idea. Some would say not to add it at all. How big is the tank?

i think you should up everything to at least four, like joel said, keeping a 1male to 3female ratio, the labs wont matter much which makes it easier since they are hard to sex. i dont have any experience with jewels. what are they like? and what is your tank size? hopefully at least a 75 gallon.

I am going to up my schools im actually copying my friends Aquarium almost to a tee im just adding slowly and i apologize its not a jewel ill get the actual name later....my tank is a 55g

The duboise are Tanganykian cichlids and need to be kept in a large group, (10 minimum) preferably in their own 75 gallon tank. Smaller numbers of them will end up as 1 that's killed the others.
Jewels are river fish, not a good mix with mbuna.

xfactor6699 said:
I am going to up my schools im actually copying my friends Aquarium almost to a tee im just adding slowly and i apologize its not a jewel ill get the actual name later....my tank is a 55g

How many you planning on having in total? Bumble bee get kinda big for a 55 and are super aggressive. How long has his tank been up and working out? I just suggest you not mix 2 types of metriaclima for example. Like cobalt and kenyi. Bc the males will spar and they may hybridize.

I plan on having 20 to 30 fish in total....ive been to a few cichlid auctions and have friends with cichlids and they say that with africans to overstock a little cuts down a lot of aggression....the tank has been running for almost 2 years it had tropical fish until a week ago

xfactor6699 said:
I plan on having 20 to 30 fish in total....ive been to a few cichlid auctions and have friends with cichlids and they say that with africans to overstock a little cuts down a lot of aggression....the tank has been running for almost 2 years it had tropical fish until a week ago

I have also seen many many tanks done this way also with only a spar here or there then get distracted easily and also me and quite a few members of our local aquarium society have all male tanks but you have to keep a close eye on them and remove and rehome any really aggressive guys

My buddy has a really calm all male tank with 35 or so in a 75 gallon so it's all about trial and error

I don't worry to much about hybridize as long as you enjoy them and don't sell them to others as its hard enough to find pure breeds

that seems like quite a bit of fish for a 55 IMO. hope you have good filtration and are willing to do alot of maintenance. i have a 72 bowfront that will eventually have 24 fish and a large pleco, and i think that is pretty overstocked already correct me if im wrong

a.tetreault said:
that seems like quite a bit of fish for a 55 IMO. hope you have good filtration and are willing to do alot of maintenance. i have a 72 bowfront that will eventually have 24 fish and a large pleco, and i think that is pretty overstocked already correct me if im wrong

I have a rena xp3 which is rated for 175g aquarium and i do at least 2 water changes a week in my tanks

Back
Top Bottom