My parrot is white??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some reason my parrot fish has become white. I know they can lose some of there color how this guy just goes ...but this guy is just white.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is a pic, it is not very good. He always swims away when I try to get him. And in this picture he has more color then normal . Also my Oscar is as bright as he as ever been. So it is not temps or anything like that ( I don't think)

4c8535_bef4ad87e1294a5ead0a0cbebb31caea.jpg_650

There is a few reasons. If it was died it could be the dye fading. The original fish used to make parrots are assumed to be severum and midas or red devil (nobody knows for sure). From what I read midas go through what people call "peeling" a process where the orange gives way to white spots until it become mostly white. Never heard of a parrot doing this but it is in there genetics to do it.

Glo fish are different- it's jellyfish DNA and is passed on genetically, dying is a horrible process, along with tattooing. Along with the stress your Oscar is might be causing, he may be bullying

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Orange like this?

Attachments

• 1392081115398.jpg
    1392081115398.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 102
Orange like this?

He was like the goldfish in the background . I now he was the the one you were pointing out .. but he was really bright .

Also I have a tiny parrot, and he is still bright-if that information helps .

Lastly I don't think there is any bullying.. but you know I can't always watch them lol, just say none that I have seen .

But he is shy , it took me days to get that picture. He would swim away anytime I went up to the tank to take picture.

If it was died ? What people dye fish ?

Some really sick people created "Jelly Bean" Parrots they stick them in acid to remove the slime coat then dip them in dye. That is how they get the green purple, blue and some reds. People don't realize it when they buy them. Then as they grow the color fades and they turn a white/yellow.

Some really sick people created "Jelly Bean" Parrots they stick them in acid to remove the slime coat then dip them in dye. That is how they get the green purple, blue and some reds. People don't realize it when they buy them. Then as they grow the color fades and they turn a white/yellow.

Do you know if they generally use albino and/ or 'golden' varieties to start with? I have clawed frogs that were supposedly the same as Glo fish, but my green one is now white and I'm afraid they are dyed.

Do you know if they generally use albino and/ or 'golden' varieties to start with? I have clawed frogs that were supposedly the same as Glo fish, but my green one is now white and I'm afraid they are dyed.

The frogs are dyed also. I don't know about if they use albino or not.

Thanks for the info. I still think they are cool, but will be purchasing albinos instead of any random color

First thinks all for the information about dying. I never knew people would do such a thing.

And Aquaenthused is eyes are normal. not pink.

So they don't have to be albino... Just thinking about the process makes me think about native tattooing by cutting off skin and burning in ink to seal it- yowch!!

Back
Top Bottom