My plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skorpio94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, just looking for input from anyone about my plec with my 2 cichlids, when I got them all from the fish store I was told they would get along and over the course of the last couple weeks I've noticed that my plecs fins are getting nipped really bad by I believe to be my blue cobalt cichlid. (The oscar seems to be leaving him alone so I suspect it's the blue cobalt).. Any ideas what I can do to stop the fin nipping as I would hate to rehome the plec? Thanks

I'd rehome the Blue Cobalt instead of the pleco. Might need to construct additional hiding spots for your Pleco. African cichlids and New World cichlids usually don't mix very well. "Been there / Done that". Eventually the bigger New Worlds will kill or eat the smaller Africans, or the smaller quicker Africans will pick apart the bigger slower New Worlds.
Synodontis catfish do well with both cichlid groups.

Hey, just looking for input from anyone about my plec with my 2 cichlids, when I got them all from the fish store I was told they would get along and over the course of the last couple weeks I've noticed that my plecs fins are getting nipped really bad by I believe to be my blue cobalt cichlid. (The oscar seems to be leaving him alone so I suspect it's the blue cobalt).. Any ideas what I can do to stop the fin nipping as I would hate to rehome the plec? Thanks
My concern is, have you actually seen the cobalt nipping the pleco's fins. I don't doubt it, but is there any possibility that the pleco has fin rot? You would know best by the patterns of the fins since I can't see the pleco. Is it on one fin or on more? One fin only is possibly fin rot. Just curious.

My concern is, have you actually seen the cobalt nipping the pleco's fins. I don't doubt it, but is there any possibility that the pleco has fin rot? You would know best by the patterns of the fins since I can't see the pleco. Is it on one fin or on more? One fin only is possibly fin rot. Just curious.
Hi, I have been watching closely over the last couple days and I have seen the blue cobalt and the plec literally circling each other as though they are fighting and Its on the top fin and on the tail, the fins on his side are the only ones intact, and have currently move the plec to the smaller tank for safety. but it is way to small for him so I either need to think of a solution quick or one of them will have to go :( I have a picture of the plec here) would also like to add I believe the fish responsible is a "blue cobalt" I don't actually know for certain I only assumed thay by what I have researched online, have attached a picture of him too as I would like to know for sure of the species. Thanks received_1900206823331526.jpeg20180408_131535.jpeg

I'd rehome the Blue Cobalt instead of the pleco. Might need to construct additional hiding spots for your Pleco. African cichlids and New World cichlids usually don't mix very well. "Been there / Done that". Eventually the bigger New Worlds will kill or eat the smaller Africans, or the smaller quicker Africans will pick apart the bigger slower New Worlds.
Synodontis catfish do well with both cichlid groups.
I did think about that option too but they seem to be getting on just fine but maybe thats because they are roughly the same size (5 or 6 inches) the oscar isn't fully grown yet, that could be the best option.. I would have to look into a tank mate for the oscar though, would you have any recommendations?

Hi, I have been watching closely over the last couple days and I have seen the blue cobalt and the plec literally circling each other as though they are fighting and Its on the top fin and on the tail, the fins on his side are the only ones intact, and have currently move the plec to the smaller tank for safety. but it is way to small for him so I either need to think of a solution quick or one of them will have to go :( I have a picture of the plec here) would also like to add I believe the fish responsible is a "blue cobalt" I don't actually know for certain I only assumed thay by what I have researched online, have attached a picture of him too as I would like to know for sure of the species. Thanks View attachment 308491View attachment 308492
Your Pleco's scientific name is Pterugoplichthys joselimaianus of which there are 250 species known. He would otherwise just be referred to as a common pleco by pet shops. The fin damage is definitely from fighting. The pleco may actually be the one instigating it. The thought that Plecos are just peaceful grazers is a myth. They can get rather territorial and attack other fish. Some speices are more prone to aggression than others.

Additional tankmates for your Oscar depends a lot on the size of your tank. There are so many
great options; Cichlids- Salvini, Electric Blue Acara, Firemouth, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, even a Green Terror- many more.

Additional tankmates for your Oscar depends a lot on the size of your tank. There are so many
great options; Cichlids- Salvini, Electric Blue Acara, Firemouth, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, even a Green Terror- many more.
My tank is a 5ft x 18" x 18" I like the look of fire mouths and Jack Dempsey but I should imagine it would be hard to get one at a similar size to the oscar, I'll have to ask around all the fish stores. Thanks for your help!

Your Pleco's scientific name is Pterugoplichthys joselimaianus of which there are 250 species known. He would otherwise just be referred to as a common pleco by pet shops. The fin damage is definitely from fighting. The pleco may actually be the one instigating it. The thought that Plecos are just peaceful grazers is a myth. They can get rather territorial and attack other fish. Some speices are more prone to aggression than others.
I never really thought of him instigating it, bit I guess its possible, it mainly happens at night so I can't really say who definitely starts the fights, maybe taking the blue cichlid back would be the best choice :/

If you decide on Firemouths, buy 3 or 4 of them. Even little ones are feisty enough to elude your Oscar in a 5 ft. Tank. This is a pic of my most colorful Firemouth.

Attachments

• 20180415_114409.jpg
    20180415_114409.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 46
If you decide on Firemouths, buy 3 or 4 of them. Even little ones are feisty enough to elude your Oscar in a 5 ft. Tank. This is a pic of my most colorful Firemouth.
Looks so cool! Think I'm set on getting the firemouth haha. what is the maximum size these get?

Firemouths are great. Females reach 4" -5", Males, 5" - 7".
My original plan was to get another oscar but I'm sure my tank is big enough.. but I will see if the fish store has fire mouths in stock this weekend, thanks for the advice!

My tank is a 5ft x 18" x 18" I like the look of fire mouths and Jack Dempsey but I should imagine it would be hard to get one at a similar size to the oscar, I'll have to ask around all the fish stores. Thanks for your help!
Wow. According to you tank size is 84.16 gallons (without subtracting substrate). There should be plenty of room for whatever you decide on to pick their own territories. Skorpio94 has good suggestions. Just keep in mind that Jack Dempsey is the name of a legendary fighter for which they were named after for a good reason. You could simply go with simply a tank of Oscars.

Wow. According to you tank size is 84.16 gallons (without subtracting substrate). There should be plenty of room for whatever you decide on to pick their own territories. Skorpio94 has good suggestions. Just keep in mind that Jack Dempsey is the name of a legendary fighter for which they were named after for a good reason. You could simply go with simply a tank of Oscars.
Am looking to upgrade tank again soon as well :D haha.. Some websites I've read say 55g per oscar and another one said 100 litres per oscar, now that's a massive difference in sizes so I don't know which one to believe haha

Am looking to upgrade tank again soon as well :D haha.. Some websites I've read say 55g per oscar and another one said 100 litres per oscar, now that's a massive difference in sizes so I don't know which one to believe haha
I'm into Angel fish these days, but I actually raised 2 Oscars to adulthood once in a 29 gallon tank. They were very healthy and happy. They would allow me to hand feed them and would greet me like puppies. But I knew they needed more room. So I made up my mind to get a 55 gallon tank and switch to angel fish keeping. I put my Oscars on Craigslist listing them as free to a good home on night at 7 pm. They were in a bucket headed to a new home only 14 hours later.

I'm into Angel fish these days, but I actually raised 2 Oscars to adulthood once in a 29 gallon tank. They were very healthy and happy. They would allow me to hand feed them and would greet me like puppies. But I knew they needed more room. So I made up my mind to get a 55 gallon tank and switch to angel fish keeping. I put my Oscars on Craigslist listing them as free to a good home on night at 7 pm. They were in a bucket headed to a new home only 14 hours later.
Im definately tempted to get another oscar and I used to keep angels years ago, great fish! I'll have to do my research and hopefully I'll find something that works, thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom