my stocking ideas and need feedback please and thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Mbamba yellow fin 1 male 3 female,
Crabro bumble bee,
Sprengerae rusty 1 male 3 female,
Steveni imperial,
Taeniolatus tangerine tiger,
Moorii blue dolphin,
Mbawa black fin,
Stuartgranti usisya flavesent,
Afra cobue Orange black,
Shark cat
My tank is a 180g

First thing that strikes me is that peacocks and mbuna don't mix well.
Not sure what the actual species of the shark cat is, but I doubt that it's compatible in any case. Some of the fish sold under that common name require increasing levels of salinity as they grow, eventually becoming full SW fish.
Best to stock either mbuna or peacocks (of different colors/patterns in any case) and get a group of Synodontis multipunctatus, petricola, or lucipinnis for leftover food cleanup.

Ok I'm new to this so witch Cichlids are you saying to not put in there? I found a chart that says these are all compatible on cichlidsrecipe.com and in one of the many books I've read it said not to keep the same family of species together.
Some dude at my lfs said that the cat can stay fw or slowly go to sw.

Generally mbuna are more aggressive than aulonocara (peacocks). If you keep mbuna with peacocks the peacocks will be harrassed. Not while they are young mind you but as they approach breeding age the aggression will start.

The stuartgranti is the peacock. Are you going for all males or are you hoping to breed them someday? In your stocking you have some haps, some mbuna and some peacocks. First off, do you want a peaceful or aggressive tank?

Both lol aggressive

This has been more difficult than sw

I thought they was all mild aggressive. Anyways what do you think I should change?

I hate when all people have are 10" and up. I think it dwarfs the tank so I was trying to mix it up with a couple big and the rest small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take out the stuartgranti, and the moori. Is the shark cat a columbian catfish? If so it does like brackish conditions. Also better in groups. Get some Synodontis multipunctatus at least 3, preferably 6. As for adding 2 fish, I'm not exactly sure which fish you are calling the mbuna blackfin, but why not get 2 females to that as well?

Ok so does this look better
Mbamba yellow fin 1 male 2-3 females
Crabro bumble bee
Sprengerae rusty 1 male 2-3 females
Steveni imperial
Taeniolatus tangerine tiger
Lethrinops Mbawa black fin 1 male 2 females
Synodontis multipunctatus 3-6
Afra cobue Orange black

You have more than one hap in there, Based on their size and temperment, you will be ok with those. The moori's are peaceful but get quite large so you don't generally need to worry about aggression with them.

Well none of my lfs sell any of these Cichlids :( so I guess online it is. If I ordered half now and half like a month later will that be ok? If so is there certain ones I should order first? I am planing on putting them in a different tank first to make sure all is good. I think I'm starting to understand Cichlids thanks to you :)

Also is there a good website that shows temperment, for future reference? And the Steveni imperial I can't find. So would Nimbochromis livingstonii be ok?

If they are juvies when you order them you will be ok ordering them in two separate orders. I would recommend getting the haps first, then the mbuna. However it may depend on what the online suppliers can get.

@ livefishdirect they have almost all missing some of the females and they are out of the cat fish. I am trying to get them under 2.5". The only one they have listed as a hap is the Mbawa black fin the rest are under Malawi mubuna if I spelled that right. So what are you saying are haps?????

Steveni imperial, & moori (blue dolphin), and if the blacks are the ones you say are the haps, then that is 3 types of haps. I am not familiar with the blacks.

Have you looked at davesfish.com? He has been highly recommended to me by many reputable people and will be who I buy fish from next time.

@ Joel618 no I haven't looked there I just googled Cichlids for sale and that wasn't one of them but ill look now thanks maybe it will save me a few bucks too.

Anthony at SIcichlids.com in NY is another good one, call or e-mail him and he'll be happy to help you put together a workable combination. Great prices too...

Back
Top Bottom