My tank is a mess!!! i need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helpmyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:roll: I have a cichlid tank composed of 2 jewel fish, 2 striped severum, 1 oscar ( i just took him out) 2 blue cichilds don't know their name ('cause I bought them from a breeder which lives in a farm in the dominican republic and doesn't know its name) everything was going well until i strated seeing the oscar's tail and fins with holes, i though that it might be because of the territorial disputes, but no, then when i arrived home like at 9:00 his scales were falling!!!!, i had to take him out, but not only that, my blue etremely agressive cichlid has a bigger eye and looks like a cloudy surface is covering it, my other fish are ok but dont eat and are in their hideouts like stressed!!

I need help! my fish are dying

Ok...need some info first.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Ph?

What size tank? How long has it been up n running? Any changes recently (new fish, new filter, new feeders)?

What do you mean by scales falling out? Ripped off? Poking out like a pine cone? Are there sores or ulcers?

Lets get that info first, and we can try to make a plan to help your fishies.

Also, are the fishing behaving normally other than the outward physical damage? Are they still eating and swimming around? Any gasping, twitching, or unusual movement?

Ryan

its a 30gallon tank, but I have never tested ph and all that because I thought since it was freshwater I didn't need to do all that, I used to have saltwater fish in that tank and dismanteled it because of a remodelation in my home, so 1 year later (2weeks ago) I decided to put the old tank back but in freshwater and then buy a 125 gal for saltwater, but now this happens, today the fish look normally only the one with the big eye and the oscar (that died already) his scales looked like if he passed by a tight corner and they scraped off,and his fins looked like something ate them but he was alone. no new fish, no new filter, no new filter, I am recently in the task of constructing a DIY cannister filter,

the fish are in their usual movement, they eat already!!!

Actually, Ph can be important, especially for African Cichlids; they need a high Ph. You may want to find out what cichlids those blue guys are, as they may not be living in the right water parameters (although I'm guessing, since you're in the Dominican Republic, chances are they are all SA cichlids).

It quite possible your oscar suffered a wound (the scraped off scales) and got an infection from it that killed him.

Also, I see your tank is only 2 weeks old. Keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels! Your tank is probably still in the first stages of the nitrogen cycle, and those chemicals from fish waste can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom