My Turtle and Convict Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
My red eared slider turtle is about 6 inches long now. He has lived in my 55 gallon tank for about a month and a half now. He seems to get along well with the fish.

My 8 inch long pleco often tries to push him out of the way to keep him away from the shrimp pellets. He just digs his claws into the gravel and stays put. Some times he swats the pleco with a front leg or simple steps or lands on the pleco.

About a week ago, I saw the turtle do something very interesting. He moved in front of my convict cichlid (also 6 inches long) with his head right in front of the convicts mouth. Then he stretched both his front legs beside his head with the claws pointing toward the convict and vibrated them rapidly. He stopped their vibrating and then started again once or twice more. Then he swam away. He returned a few moments later and repeated the episode again. I have no idea why this turtle did this. I suspect it was a form of telling the convict who is boss and am surprised that the convict cichlid did nothing to the turtle.

If anyone has any idea of what the turtle was doing please let me know. I know this is not the reptile site, but figured some of you might be interested to know how the turtle is living with about 45 other fish.

Maybe the turtle is lonely and wants a mate and the convict was the closest thing it could find :D

hehe, i have no idea :D

-Dan

I am just surprised you can have a turtle and fish together. Everyone I ever knew who had a turtle with fish found dead fish heads floating in their tanks soon after.

Hey, I am interested in having a turtle in a tank. Do you have an island for your turtle? How do you take care of it?

I think it would be basically impossible to get a pet turtle in australia! Do you need a liscense to keep one?

Why would it be hard? As far as I know there are plenty of turtles there. Steve Erwin showed me some that are very comparable to our box turtles, if not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom