Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Unknown Cichlid

So I bought 2 cichlid's this week and one of them I am unsure what it is. The first cichlid I got was a blue johanni while the second one, even the guy from the pet store is unsure on what it is. He believes that it is a auratus but certain features is making him think that it is not an auratus. Can anyone explain to me what this cichlid is. Thank you.

http://imgur.com/a/OVxgY

In the first picture it is the one on the bottom, sorry if the picture isn't so clear.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

Looks to be an aurutus,but pics aren't great...say this because I've kept them before&they can be pretty nasty as well as your Johanni..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I certainly know about their temperament.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The second looks like an arturis female displaying male color. The pic is hazy but it looks like mine. Does this look like your fish?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120812_081946.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	112021
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

are you talking about the black and blue striped one in the first shot? That's your johanni, however it looks to me like a maingano which are typically sold as Johannis. His nose shape leads me to believe he is crossed with something, but the pic is kind of blurry so that's just a guess.
Here's mine, is this what he looks like?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-12_09-15-05-904.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	112026

Can I see a shot of said johanni?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

No the picture I took of the first one is not of the Johanni, since when I took the picture the Johanni was next to this cichlid but out of frame (It just looks blue cause of the flash but it's really black). I already know that my Johanni is genuinely a Johanni, so that's not a problem. Also my Auratus does not look like yours, it looks exactly as it looks like in the second picture, you can see how mine and yours look so different.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest
No the picture I took of the first one is not of the Johanni, since when I took the picture the Johanni was next to this cichlid but out of frame (It just looks blue cause of the flash but it's really black). I already know that my Johanni is genuinely a Johanni, so that's not a problem. Also my Auratus does not look like yours, it looks exactly as it looks like in the second picture, you can see how mine and yours look so different.
I'm sorry, I still don't understand what fish you are talking about. I don't see an auratus at all. First picture bottom fish right? Maybe if you could get a better shot I could be of more help. A female auratus is yellow with black stripes, a male auratus is black with yellow stripes. So. Your fish is black. What color are his stripes if they aren't blue?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is why I am confused, in the first picture it is the bottom one and in the second picture it is the one in front of the OB Peacock. It really isn't a black, it's more of a very dark blue and the line that goes across is kind of like a violet color. I'll wait until tomorrow to take a picture since it is night time now and the picture quality will suffer.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok ill do my best to help then!

Tags
cichlid, ich, unknown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com