N. multifasciatus tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherLar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend is gifting me with a "proven" trio of Neolamprologus multifasciatus shell-dwellers. I've been keeping all types of cichlids from nearly all areas for 20+ years, but have never had shell-dwellers, so I'm pretty excited.
As most fish people do, I have several empty tanks and boxes of equipment and hardware, so I dug a 29g and stand out of storage, filled it last night to check the seals, and have it set up to cycle now.
I've put 2" of aquarium sand in the tank, and scattered about 20 shells around the tank, and am now just waiting for the cycle to complete (I added media from my Tanganyika tank to speed the process) to get the fish from her.
So, since I understand that "shellies" prefer the bottom of the tank, I was hoping someone could advise me as to potential tank mates to fill the middle and top of the water column. Also, are there any small bottom feeders that are compatible and won't rob the nests of eggs?
And, a 3rd question: what additional decor would they prefer? The tank seems plain with only sand and shells in it.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

They're kind of rough for tank mates?? No? Think they're usually best in a species only setup. Maybe a goby out there you could get away with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks, Brookster. I think I can talk her out of another trio in exchange for some Salvini's she admires. At least the tank will have some activity with 2 trios.

If you go with a longer tank, you can add a goby cichlid, although the genera are escaping me other than spathdous. You would need to add rockwork, like holey rock or base rock. I successfully did this for some time, even had some alto. Sumbu white dwarf in with my colony before I sold it all off

I successfully kept a trio of N. multi with 2 Julie marlieri, eretmodus cyanostictus and 4 syno multi. When it came around to them breeding (and yes they probably will breed lol) they became really aggressive but the male never went after anyone as long as they stayed away from the shells.
The 29 is more significantly taller than it is wide so youre limited there. Like Gecko said if you added some rocks (holey rock) you could get some smaller rock dwellers.

Thank you all for your replies. I added a few rock formations, but you're right that a 29g tank doesn't give me much room to work with. I seem to be collecting 29g tanks lately; have 3 at the moment.

They have their purpose. Aqueon 40b for $40 at petco is a dwarfer's dream though.. I like the 30l too..

They have their purpose. Aqueon 40b for $40 at petco is a dwarfer's dream though.. I like the 30l too..

I regret ever moving my colony out of their 20 long to a 40b. I kept losing fish for no apparent reason and the tank never stayed the same as my 20l did. I mean, this is just my experience lol

Back
Top Bottom