Name that cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, just looking for some ID's on some africans. I'm assuming the blue one is a demasoni and I'm thinking the red one is maybe a red zebra but if someone can confirm this or give me a positive ID, I'd appreciate it. :D

the blue one is a Pseudotropheus lombardoi, or Kenyi. 100% sure of it. the second looks like Hemichromis lifalili, a type of jewel cichlid. not totally sure on that one though. HTH

Well, I looked up the jewel and I don't think that's it. These little guys are about 1-1.5" and longer bodied. I'm off to search the kenyi. Thanks guys. :D

Cool. I've offered veggies to them but they haven't taken it yet. So far I've gotten them to eat some flake and some cichlid granules. Any one with pics of adults, please share. :D Especially of an adult male that shows the color change. Thank you all. :D

fluff, in case you bought them from the same tank, i'd suspect that the orange colored guy is a male kenyi. the other's female. the orange probably will shift to a bright yellow as it matures.
don't feed them too much protein (malawi bloat :wink: ). veggies should be the staple diet.

Ok, but it is normal for the color to change so soon? From the links I read it was a maturity thing. These fish are really small. And yeah, I got them from the same tank but I picked up two brichardi as well from the same tank. Which I know if from an entirely different lake.

well, thats exactly the size for males to change color. but be careful, if indeed its a male kenyi, it can cause serious damage to others in tank, specially if its cramped.

its one of the worst mbuna to start off with and the most common mistake in mbuna tanks ( well there has been lucky people too). just keep an eye on them. and don't be discouraged, they really are cute 8) .

Ok, next question then. Of the two orange ones, one is paler in color and lacks the posts on the ventral fin and barring in the tail. I really need to get better pics I suppose.

i'd presume it has assumed the role of the subdominant male already. in that case it'll try to show off as little as possible and keep a low profile. be careful, two males and one female is definitely not good news in kenya, erm, kenyi-world.

but i hope someone who keeps them will be able to give you a better idea. i think fishyfanatic has some in a monstrous 150g...(in case you see fishy tell him that i didn't mistake the tank size this time :wink: )

Ok, I got a decent pic of the other orange one. I have two of each so if that's the case, I should have two pairs. If aggression becomes an issue, seperate tanks isn't a problem. So far the orange ones hang out together, the blue ones stay together and the brichardi stay together. lol

Man, sw is so much less confusing. lol

i'm really sorry fluff if i'm confusing you...i'm confused myself. please bear in mind i'm new to cichlids too.
but this one looks like your first guess, a red zebra, and i'd say a female. it'll be very unlikely for two male kenyis to hang out together.

ok ok, i withdraw all i've said so far. i'll leave the id-ing to someone else :lol: .

lol I appreciate the effort. And maybe it's one of each. I suppose all will reveal itself in a few months as they grow. :wink:

ok i bet on the second one being a red zebra male (light blue tinge on anal fins, hadn't noticed that before).
anyway, they are both beautiful...

whitetiger_CJ said:
the blue one is a Pseudotropheus lombardoi, or Kenyi. 100% sure of it. the second looks like Hemichromis lifalili, a type of jewel cichlid. not totally sure on that one though. HTH

Kenyi... thank you the word was excaping me but I knew...lol.. that is new for me and fish

Back
Top Bottom