nasty angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish1102

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my two koi angels a year and they've always been peaceful in the tank with the other fish (tetras, guppies, penguins). A couple of days ago they got hold of a guppy and literally pulled him apart. Yuck. They've also been having a go at the hatchets on a regular basis.

Do angels particularly dislike guppies? do angels get more aggressive as they get older and bigger :?:

Angels ARE cichlids, and can be cranky territorial lil buggers when they want. Especially if they are in a breeding mode; its possible those 2 have decided to mate (even tho they may NOT be male/female...no way to know till u see em try) and are becoming aggresive as angels will in that mood. They may also be territorial depending on tank size. How big is the tank?

Angels can be agressive. You probably just need to give them more space. They take about 10 to 15 gallons to themselves.

I agree with Allivymar & Zic, they might be getting ready to mate. They need lots of room especially when they start breeding!

Yes they are a pair and they are mating. They started laying eggs about 6 months ago and although they would chase other fish away they never attacked one like this before.

The tank is 96l (I think thats about 23 US gallons). I have let the tank run down a bit as the angels have got bigger and there's not many other fish in there now - 4 hatchets, 1 penguin, 2 black phantoms and 6 cardinal tetras.

Its not a big surprise then. Angels are as moody as we women can be ;)

I know of mated pairs which haved turned on each other; not a shock that your 2 are turning on their tank mates. If things get even worse (cause obviously they're pretty bad now) you may want to consider getting the angels their own 20g (US).

Back
Top Bottom