Need advice..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bg-mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to vacuum the rocks on Friday take out about 10g of water should I wait on changing my filter or can I do it all at once..

You don't need to change your filter unless it is pretty much falling apart. The filter is where alot of your bacteria resides, if you replace it you may go through a mini cycle. You can wash it out in some old tank water, Don't use tap water that will kill the bacteria. Just do your PWC then swish the filter in the bucket you used to remove the tank water.

I always thought u should change the filter about once a month....??

That's what I've been told because the filter holds all the bad bacteria and debris.... Not to mention if you have a filter with carbon.... That needs to be changed right?

I have biowheels on all of my tanks and also use nitrifying bacteria to replenish what I took out.

I suppose if u just rinse in old tank water that would keep what good bacteria u have ....but are risking keeping the bad also.

I usually do at least a 30% water change on my tanks once a week vacuuming the substrate then condition the tap water I put in and add the bacteria and change my filters once a month. Not trying to sound critical ... Sry if I do.

I always keep two filter pads in to trap debris, and keep up good bacteria, I think I will be changing and using the cut it yourself pad as the pre-filter to catch the nasty stuff and change that when it gets full instead of the cartridge one. More economical. I will remove the worst one of the filters, every couple months, keeping be most bacteria available as possible. Also then I have an extra filter to seed a new tank, ........ you know........ just in case I happen to come across a good deal, LOL.

I always thought u should change the filter about once a month....??
That is how they make their money! Most people don't use carbon, only when you want to remove meds or tannins will they use it. As far as bad bacteria, as long as your tank is healthy I don't believe you should have any bad bacteria in it. When you say "add the bacteria" are you talking about the bottled bacteria? If so alot of people will tell you that there is no date for when it was made, and that more than likely there aren't bacteria in the bottle, or that there was but probably starved without a food source.

I have found that sine I changed from flakes to NLS pellets there is much less solid waste in my filter pads. They last for months. Some of that bacteria lives on the waste itself. I only rinse the pad when water starts to overflow the pad; and I only replace the pad when rinsing no longer helps. If you have filter with 2 pads, only change one at a time.

I use Hikari micro bites and bottom feeder tabs and occasionally a few other little treats, not flakes. Hikari keeps water clarity for sure.

What are ur tank stats?
size
Filter Systems and gph
Lighting and natural light
Inhabitants
gravel or substrate or sand
fake or real plants

Sake said:
That is how they make their money! Most people don't use carbon, only when you want to remove meds or tannins will they use it. As far as bad bacteria, as long as your tank is healthy I don't believe you should have any bad bacteria in it. When you say "add the bacteria" are you talking about the bottled bacteria? If so alot of people will tell you that there is no date for when it was made, and that more than likely there aren't bacteria in the bottle, or that there was but probably starved without a food source.

Hmm.... Interesting. I didn't know about bacteria being starved... I use it to lower my ammonia and nitrite and seems to work just fine. I don't like using ammonia and nitrite removers Cuz I have also heard that it kills the cycle.

I use it to lower my ammonia and nitrite and seems to work just fine
In a fully cycled tank, ammonia and nitrite should be converted quick enough that you have readings of 0 ppm.

LogansMomma said:
Hmm.... Interesting. I didn't know about bacteria being starved... I use it to lower my ammonia and nitrite and seems to work just fine. I don't like using ammonia and nitrite removers Cuz I have also heard that it kills the cycle.

I am looking at the bottle now and says nothing about when it was made.... Just that it has a "shelf life of 12 to 18 months and to refrigerate at 38°F if possible".... If possible? What? Lol

I do have those readings... yep.
I test with API master liquid test kit.

Back
Top Bottom