Need Advice - Large first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogger19

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I am working on a basement bar/aquarium build. I built in a 210 gallon display tank into the bar back and I have a 100 gallon tank underneath of it. My origional plan was to go saltwater; however, due to time constraints, I am just going to do freshwater. I'm thinking a cichlids tank. I realize a sump is not really needed for a freshwater tank but I already have it and the display tank already has two overflows built in. Here are some questions I am looking to get answered:

1.) What kind of lightning? I would be open to a DIY LED kit type deal. Not sure of spectrum and all of that other scientific stuff.

2.) Heating. What is an ideal temperature for african cichlids?

3.) Filtration. Given the 100 gallon sump, what type of filtration equipment should I get and how should I set it up?

I have attached an older picture of my bar setup.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1959471_690990509291_237491088333413209_n.jpg
    1959471_690990509291_237491088333413209_n.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
Hello, I am working on a basement bar/aquarium build. I built in a 210 gallon display tank into the bar back and I have a 100 gallon tank underneath of it. My origional plan was to go saltwater; however, due to time constraints, I am just going to do freshwater. I'm thinking a cichlids tank. I realize a sump is not really needed for a freshwater tank but I already have it and the display tank already has two overflows built in. Here are some questions I am looking to get answered:

1.) What kind of lightning? I would be open to a DIY LED kit type deal. Not sure of spectrum and all of that other scientific stuff.

Any lighting works if you aren't planning on plants. I would say so with an LED setups that lets you mix and match colours as well as dim the light if need be. Fluval Aquasky and Current sat+ (non-pro) are a couple that come to mind.

2.) Heating. What is an ideal temperature for african cichlids?

76-80 dF

3.) Filtration. Given the 100 gallon sump, what type of filtration equipment should I get and how should I set it up?

Heater, Porous bio media, filter floss/sponges, refugium maybe???? return pump, an area for chemical media to be placed if need be.

Usually the mechanical media is first, followed by both biological and chemical media, then a refugium followed by heaters/return.

I have attached an older picture of my bar setup.

Thanks!

Answered in bold

Back
Top Bottom