Need an algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting a lot of diatoms, or so I assume... It's the green/brown algae that covers mostly my rock. The only thing I have in there now as a clean up crew is a ramshorn snail. I have a keyhole, buffalo head, 2 firemouth, rams, krib, and can't remember the other ones name. I also have cories. But those are my cichlids. What algae eater could I put in here? It's a 75 gallon planted. I don't have any driftwood so I can't put a pleco in. Add more snails? Would a flying fox work? Ideas please! Thanks

You could put a bristlenose pleco in there. I have a bn in a tank w/o driftwood. But I would just find out what the cause of the algae is. :)

If you dont have driftwood, a rubbernose pleco can work. They love algae, and dont need DW. Latin name is chaetostoma thomasi for reference. Good luck! :)

I dont recommend putting a BN there without DW, it can cause digestional issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ben plecos don't eat entirely algae, and don't compare to nerite snails
I had a big rock piece, like a foot long filled with diatoms, and I. Like 4-5 days, it was clear, they are amazing can't recommend anything better because there is nothing better

If you dont have driftwood, a rubbernose pleco can work. They love algae, and dont need DW. Latin name is chaetostoma thomasi for reference. Good luck! :)

I dont recommend putting a BN there without DW, it can cause digestional issues.

I really like the idea of the rubber nose pleco! Do they eat algae their whole lives?? And could I add two?

Ben plecos don't eat entirely algae, and don't compare to nerite snails
I had a big rock piece, like a foot long filled with diatoms, and I. Like 4-5 days, it was clear, they are amazing can't recommend anything better because there is nothing better

I had a mystery snail in my tank and it disappeared... ( that happens a lot in my tank! Haha ) anyways, I'm afraid my cichlids may have gotten him.. I'm not even sure. So I don't know if id add anymore snails, however my ramshorn snail has been doing fine

I had 5 Otos in my tank, still had to clean the glass
Sold them and got one bn pleco and one rubber lip, didn't help that much
Added 3 nerite snails, thank looks clean

A rubberlip pleco will rasp holes in plant leaves. Believe me I know.

I have two bristlenose plecos and a few otos and they do alright but I still run my magfloat over the glass once a week or so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A rubberlip pleco will rasp holes in plant leaves. Believe me I know.

I have two bristlenose plecos and a few otos and they do alright but I still run my magfloat over the glass once a week or so.

Ive never had any problems with them even touching my broad leaved plants, so I guess it depends on the individual.

Yes they will eat algae, but supplement with algae wafers once your algae runs out.

I fed the rubber lip veggies and wafers daily but was still getting holes rasped into my crypts and swords. Those rubber lips have powerful suction.

question why do plecos need dw I've never heard this before

don't no much about plecos so Jw

question why do plecos need dw I've never heard this before

don't no much about plecos so Jw

They need the fiber and microorganisms that digest wood in their gut to help digest their own food. Most plecos only get this from wood.

However some plecos come from rivers that lack driftwood so they never needed it.

I think you just need to clean it...I heard that if you get algae eater of any kind they will grow up and eat the stress coat off of the other fish. I have a pleco and he does the job, but I would be carful before buying them. I would just get the mag float magnets. They seem to be pretty good.

I think you just need to clean it...I heard that if you get algae eater of any kind they will grow up and eat the stress coat off of the other fish. I have a pleco and he does the job, but I would be carful before buying them. I would just get the mag float magnets. They seem to be pretty good.

This is too much of a generalization to be true. Ive kept common plecos, bristlenose, rubber lip, and clowns and never have seen any latch onto larger slow moving fish.

There is ancedontal reporting of chinese algae eaters doing this, ive never had one so I dont know.

I keep discus. I has BN in there as part of my ground crew. When I would do my w/c's the discus natrually move down to the bottom of the tank, that's when the BN would latch themselves on to my discus. Moved most of them out now.

Sidman24, what is your feeding schedule? How long are your lights on for? And what is your water change schedule? What are the other fish you couldn't remember?

Your problem could be over feeding, over stocking, and the lights being on too long.

You could try keeping your lights on a couple hours less, feed every other day, and changing more of a percentage of water then you currently change. Adding more fish to help the algae usually doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom