Need breeding ideas (Cichlids) - 4 Tanks (3 empty)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 1 main 55 gallon tank and 3 empty tanks 10, 20, 30 gallon that I want to use strictly for raising fry and recovering females. Right now my 55 gallon houses a male OB peacock (about 4 inches), 2 females OBs (3 inches) and an electric blue ahli (Maybe 4.5 inches). I had a melanochromis auratus pair but I got rid of them. I can essentially get rid of all my stock if I can figure out a good enough breeding set up that will work with these tanks. Any ideas? *If you have suggestions feel free to add pics of cichlid(s)* Thanks! Pic of my 55 -
img_2136004_0_8c68b383ee3374fd78eba839f3449e45.jpg

If its breeding you want get a group of 5 or 6 yellow labs.1 male to 4 or 5 females.I guarantee they will breed.Soon you will get fed up of them breeding lol.

If its breeding you want get a group of 5 or 6 yellow labs.1 male to 4 or 5 females.I guarantee they will breed.Soon you will get fed up of them breeding lol.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention that I'm not interested in breeding anything too common :/ My friend breeds yellows and they never really sparked my interest.

Bryanm70 said:
Oh sorry I forgot to mention that I'm not interested in breeding anything too common :/ My friend breeds yellows and they never really sparked my interest.

The mbamba yellow fin breeds just as fast as labs. They aren't easy to find in my area but I can online.

The mbamba yellow fin breeds just as fast as labs. They aren't easy to find in my area but I can online.

Yes that's a good one! Can you elaborate? What would I have to get rid of in my 55?

Any Cichlid that I can get from AB or the internet and not usually found in LFS is what I'm interested in. I want something different.

There are a ton of fish me and garfy could name that could be great candidates for breeding. There are so many african Cichlids its not funny. If I wanted to breed something as stated above I'd go with the wild caught ones. So do your research and find them as most africans are not carried by lfs and only by online stores. Here is a link that another member posted about where to buy and these carry a lot of the wild ones.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/this-is-where-to-buy-cichlids-online-224030.html

There are a ton of fish me and garfy could name that could be great candidates for breeding. There are so many african Cichlids its not funny. If I wanted to breed something as stated above I'd go with the wild caught ones. So do your research and find them as most africans are not carried by lfs and only by online stores. Here is a link that another member posted about where to buy and these carry a lot of the wild ones.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/this-is-where-to-buy-cichlids-online-224030.html

Thanks guys! I'll do my research and start another thread when I have the selected fish in my tank! :)

Check out Lamprologus ocellatus gold u could have a pretty sick colony going and are vary rare I have been looking for them for years and the one time I found them I was doing South Americans but finally found a guy to get me wild caught I am going to do my 55 a huge colony and using my twenty gallon my 10 gallon as fry tanks amazing fish by the way

Check out Lamprologus ocellatus gold u could have a pretty sick colony going and are vary rare I have been looking for them for years and the one time I found them I was doing South Americans but finally found a guy to get me wild caught I am going to do my 55 a huge colony and using my twenty gallon my 10 gallon as fry tanks amazing fish by the way

That's awesome! You're pretty much doing what I'm trying to do, haha. I just need to decide on a species. It's funny that you mentioned this particular species because I follow someone on Facebook that's currently selling some of these beauties :D

THEY ARE AMAZING IM TELLING YOU LOOK INTo it. I was also thinking about adding maybe a couple bushardi or ventralis to fill the bid shape since they stay on the bottom and its said that if u feed em brine shrimp 6 will turn into 30 in nooooo time! Mine should be here Saturday they will be shipped Friday they are also vary good parents and will guard and raise there young

Back
Top Bottom