Need first time gbr owner faqs please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
55g, I want to get a pair of German blue rams, and house them with my school of 14 tiger barbs! So anything I should be enlightened about please do. I should also say first time cichlid owner.

Is your tank heavily planted or otherwise set up so as to provide some seperation between the rams, which live on the bottom, and the tiger barbs, which live in the water column?

Even still, I would suggest against German/blue/gold rams. They're sensitive and need a very mellow environment.

One petco by me keeps their gold ram stock in the same tank as their tiger barbs and every time I go there, the rams are getting beat up by the barbs so I would suggest against it.

55g, I want to get a pair of German blue rams, and house them with my school of 14 tiger barbs! So anything I should be enlightened about please do. I should also say first time cichlid owner.

I personally think you will be okay. Your tank is pretty big. Barbs are known to a bit nippy so if you have a choice I can direct you to something else. Tetras are usually a better choice. The killers of rams are nitrates and stress. So do whatever you can to avoid those too things

I personally think you will be okay. Your tank is pretty big. Barbs are known to a bit nippy so if you have a choice I can direct you to something else. Tetras are usually a better choice. The killers of rams are nitrates and stress. So do whatever you can to avoid those too things

Rams can hold their own believe it or not and will even show some aggression to other bigger fish. Depends on the fish though. I would definitely try to provide some separation and hiding places for the rams just in case they do get picked on. But as noted stress and nitrates are their kryptonite.

Is your tank heavily planted or otherwise set up so as to provide some seperation between the rams, which live on the bottom, and the tiger barbs, which live in the water column? Even still, I would suggest against German/blue/gold rams. They're sensitive and need a very mellow environment.
by the time I get the rams. After christmas, It will be heavily planted with lots of driftwood and hiding spots. I feel as if it may be possible, only because my school of 9 barbs in my 29 actually let my 3 other platy's school with them. They tend to peck within the group, mainly my green barbs chasing my albinos.

Rams can hold their own believe it or not and will even show some aggression to other bigger fish. Depends on the fish though. I would definitely try to provide some separation and hiding places for the rams just in case they do get picked on. But as noted stress and nitrates are their kryptonite.
what other pair of fish would be suitable for my tank, I'm looking for color and pop.

There's lots of cichlids that would work. A pair of firemouths would work and have a little bit of size to them. If your set on smaller fish apistogramma has many species in it.
can I get a id on this guy?

Attachments

• image-845529668.jpg
    image-845529668.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 82
Should be fine the only time dwarfs get aggressive is when they breed but you have a good footprint

Also they are one of the smaller apistos and barely get over two inch, which may get lost in a 55. How about cryptoheros nanoletus?
those are pretty neat. There are so many to choose from. Is there a website that I can rule out which species would do bad with another. I could be sitting here all night discovering new species with you guys! Lol

They would work and are a little bigger and hardier than mikrogeophagus ramirezi
excellent, one last question. The electric blue ram is a morph of the german blue ram correct? And the compatibility is just as low for them? As it is to te gbr?

Back
Top Bottom