Need help identifying 3 fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarabox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405907829.584231.jpg
Fish # 1
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405907887.789779.jpg
Fish #2
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405907974.041339.jpg
Fish #3

If someone could help me with identification of these three, I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1st one looks like a gold saum (Aequidens sp) sold as a green terror
Not sure on 2 or 3.

Andinoacara sp. Gold Saum (false green terror), roccio octofasciata (jack dempsey), andinoacara sp. Silver saum (false green terror, white saum)

There's a lot of confusion when identifying the various species known as "Green Terrors", as there are a few false green terrors, and Gold and Silver saums my be the same species. The true green terrors are andinoacara stalsbergii and those are extremely rare in the hobby, and are the species that truly earned the name green terror, the others are much more mellow in comparison

Thanks everyone! All three were bought from a mixed tank and sold to me as jacks. As they are growing at drastically different rates and looking very different I had to question what store owner told me. The one in the top pic is by far the most beautiful fish I have ever had but he has a little bit of an attitude. I have a 75 full of african cichlids though so I'm use to attitude, lol.

Any helpful hints about these three or things I need to know that might not show up as I research?

Keep in mind that a 75 is on the small side or a pair of any of the green terror species, and when I say pair, I mean those two fish and nothing else. A single jack minimum is a 55. If you wanna keep all three, a 6 foot, 125 is the minimum I'd recommend. Hopefully the Africans are separate btw, otherwise issues will arise.

The first pic is a male, and a nice one. The third appears to be female, and I'm not positive on the jack, would need some better anles

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

1And 3 green terror 2 is a Jack dempsey

Sent from my LGMS323 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The 75 gallon only has Africans in it. The jack is in a 60 gallon with a pacu and the 2 green terrors are in another 60. There are a few great danios sprinkled about each tank. I know I will have to get bigger tanks before long...having that "discussion" with husband now. Especially after finding out what our unknowns are.

Thanks again everyone!

Just making sure :) I'd get rid of the pacu though, those get absolutely huge!

Here is another pic of the jack in case someone can tell me if it's male or female.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405989386.106726.jpg

I would guess male but freakgecko would know for sure. I think the eye liner markings is male and if they have a beard of the blue speckles its female.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is another pic of the jack in case someone can tell me if it's male or female.View attachment 243936

Female IMO, males lack the spangles on the gill flap and have more overall body spangles. JDs aren't the easiest to sex unfortunately

I'm fairly certain this fish is female

Female IMO, males lack the spangles on the gill flap and have more overall body spangles. JDs aren't the easiest to sex unfortunately

I'm fairly certain this fish is female

I stand corrected. LOL

Thanks, no big deal really. I don't have the tank space to get another anyway. Was just curious. Thanks!!

Andinoacara sp. Gold Saum (false green terror), roccio octofasciata (jack dempsey), andinoacara sp. Silver saum (false green terror, white saum)

There's a lot of confusion when identifying the various species known as "Green Terrors", as there are a few false green terrors, and Gold and Silver saums my be the same species. The true green terrors are andinoacara stalsbergii and those are extremely rare in the hobby, and are the species that truly earned the name green terror, the others are much more mellow in comparison

What is the difference between rocio octofasciatus and nandopsis octofasciatus?

What is the difference between rocio octofasciatus and nandopsis octofasciatus?

There is no difference. The same fish. Jacks used to be in the genus nandopsis, before being reclassified. They've been in several different genera, ever heros and cichlasoma, before being settled in roccio. Nandopsis are generally the big bruisers like haitiensis, beanii, etc.

Back
Top Bottom