Need Help identifying my Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin1981

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I acquired this cichlid at my local Petco and it was only labeled as an "African Cichlid".

Any help you could give me identifying this fish would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

• Resized_20200501_171816.jpg
    Resized_20200501_171816.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 61
It's an African cichlid. Wont do well with the plants or any other fish other than more male African cichlids.

That appears to be a Melanochromis auratus. When they are young, they stay a beautiful yellow color with white striping. When they mature the males turn black like yours. They are extremely aggressive, but with natural tank dividers such as floating plants, driftwood or rocks and over stocking, they will be fine. Also, Cichlids ACTUALLY do DO WELL with plants.

Because I know someone in new mexico whose name was Justin AND I think might have been born in 1981 not sure he has African chiclids with plants and black substrate !!!!! This is a ginormous quincidence

That appears to be a Melanochromis auratus. When they are young, they stay a beautiful yellow color with white striping. When they mature the males turn black like yours. They are extremely aggressive, but with natural tank dividers such as floating plants, driftwood or rocks and over stocking, they will be fine. Also, Cichlids ACTUALLY do DO WELL with plants.
Yah. They love eating plants, I guess I should have phrased it differently.

Back
Top Bottom