Need help Identifying these Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote251

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I just bought an new to me 75 gallon tank and it came with 7 fish. I am just wondering if anyone can help me identify what type of fish they are. From what the old owner has told me the fish did breed at least once, so I am thinking that some might be hybrids. There is one all yellow that I am pretty sure is a Yellow Lab, and a purple one with yellow on the fins and tail which i think is a hybrid. There is one big fish he is about 8" long and stripped like a Convict, just way to big. My best guess is a Green Severum just because of the size and banding but I could be wrong. I have included some pics so if you know what they are please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Camera Pics 278.jpg
    Camera Pics 278.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Camera Pics 203.jpg
    Camera Pics 203.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Camera Pics 179.jpg
    Camera Pics 179.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Camera Pics 181.jpg
    Camera Pics 181.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 171
None of these fish look like true breeds to me.They all look similar to true breeds but deformed at the same time.I think they are all hybrids.Just my opinion though.

None of these fish look like true breeds to me.They all look similar to true breeds but deformed at the same time.I think they are all hybrids.Just my opinion though.

I thought that might be the case when the guy I bought the tank from said that he had bred fish in the tank before. I did think that the large fish (pic 1) might be a true breed as the guy told me he had bought it from the lfs.

Do you have any idea if they would possibly be african or NA/CA? I am not sure what characteristics would be able to identify this but I might as well ask. The reason that I ask is that I purchased this tank for a Jack Dempsey that I had in another tank and also I want to try and get the water conditions right. The JD's in there now and they seem to be getting along so far.

The second looks like a Jewel Cichlid. It looks alot like the one my bf had (it recently passed away)

First picture is a Tilapia buttikoferi, I've never heard of one hybridizing to be honest. My money is on him trying to kill every living soul in that tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the id's.

I looked up the Tilapia Buttikoferi (Zebra Tilapia) and it is definitely what this fish is except that he doesn't have the same attitude that they describe. He doesn't seem to be that aggressive except for at feeding time. He has been tank mates with these fish for his whole life or their whole lives so i'm not sure if that would make a difference. The previous owner said that he has had him for about 8 years. I hope that he was telling the truth and this fish is full grown because i really don't have the space to add a 125g tank right now! It says these fish can get up to 15", this one is about 7-8" right now.

I am pretty sure the yellow fish (Pic6 & Pic7) is a Electric Yellow Lab (Labidochromis Caeruleus). It fits the description, right down to the black on the fins.

The fish in Pic2 i think is a Electric Blue Johannii (Melanochromis Johanni). It is very close to the pictures i can find and its attitude and disposition fit perfectly from the descriptions I can find.

Now I just need ID the light purplish colored ones (Pic4 & Pic5) and the purple one with the yellow on the fins (Pic6). I am pretty sure that one is a hybrid but I could be wrong.

Let me know what you think? Thanks.

1. What Hukit said...buttery foil thingy lol
2. Jewel
3. Maingano or johanni?
4. Looks like a female greshakei
5 cobalt
6. Yellow tail acei?
7. Yellow lab

I want able to look at the pics while writing this so I could have my pics switched around, but I believe I got em all ;-)

1. What Hukit said...buttery foil thingy lol
2. Jewel
3. Maingano or johanni?
4. Looks like a female greshakei
5 cobalt
6. Yellow tail acei?
7. Yellow lab

I want able to look at the pics while writing this so I could have my pics switched around, but I believe I got em all ;-)

Thank you very much! I think you have got them all, i just looked them up from what you have suggested and the only one that i think is wrong is the female Greshakei. I think this one is just another Cobalt Zebra. I am pretty sure from looking at a bunch of pictures that pic3 is a Johanni. They seem to have vertical lines while the Maingano seem to have horizontal markings. That may not be the best way to distinguish between them but it is the only difference I can really see.

Thank you very much! I think you have got them all, i just looked them up from what you have suggested and the only one that i think is wrong is the female Greshakei. I think this one is just another Cobalt Zebra. I am pretty sure from looking at a bunch of pictures that pic3 is a Johanni. They seem to have vertical lines while the Maingano seem to have horizontal markings. That may not be the best way to distinguish between them but it is the only difference I can really see.

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help out.
The female, are you sure it's a cobalt? I thought female cobalts were pale blue. Yours seems to be brownish with a blue sheen.

Yea the blue on is probably a ble cobalt from what it looks like, the yellow is a yellow lab.

I have 2 of each of those and a albino zebra.

Attachments

• image-3483446897.jpg
    image-3483446897.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1074091098.jpg
    image-1074091098.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image-136047668.jpg
    image-136047668.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1823762358.jpg
    image-1823762358.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 60
Looks to me you have a convict a Texas fire mix and not to sure bout the others hybrids are kinda tricky to ID

Back
Top Bottom