Need Help To Finish Stocking My 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys!

I have been slowing adding fish the past two weeks (3 to 4 at a time) and this is what I have thus far:

4 Labidochromis caeruleus (Juvies..sex unknown)
3 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (1 male...2 Female)
3 Cynotilapia afra (Cobue) (1male...2 Female)
2 Pseudotropheus Acei ( 1Male...1Female)

Wanted to end up with around 15-18 fish. How should I finish stocking. Thanks

I really like these
Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" yellow fin
And don't forget about

Cuckoo Catfish" (Synodontis Multipunctatus)
Or some sort

If you want to keep some of the fry then I wouldn't get all 15-18 now. It doesn't take long for them to start breeding

I currently have four different species in the tank. Is it o.k. to have more than that in a 55?

Your right....I may just add a couple more females when I can sex them and a clean up crew and call it done.

Luke78 said:
Your right....I may just add a couple more females when I can sex them and a clean up crew and call it done.

I wish I never had got females. It was nice the first couple of time when they breed but now its just kinda crazy. I'm going to be getting rid of all my females someday.

Andrew McFadden said:
I wouldn't add a rusty when breeding they are not calm. Mine thought he ran the tank till my afra put him in his place. But now my female rusty is fine

Rustys are rambunctious until put into their place but they're really interesting and have fascinating personalities. They're like those mini dobermans who think they're real dogs.

TheGrza said:
Rustys are rambunctious until put into their place but they're really interesting and have fascinating personalities. They're like those mini dobermans who think they're real dogs.

He got put in his place alright rip Mr. Rusty :( he was really fun to watch

Stocked...traded the maingano in....aggressive little bastards. Went with:

5 Labs
5 Cobalts
3 Acei
3 Afra Cobue

Pics of the 55

What do ya think?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 49
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Cyno afra.jpg
    Cyno afra.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 55
  • lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 66
Luke78 said:
Stocked...traded the maingano in....aggressive little bastards. Went with:

5 Labs
5 Cobalts
3 Acei
3 Afra Cobue

Nice mix. Your potentially 6" Acei and Cobalts are teetering just over the upper limit of the recommended 5" in a 55 gallon aquarium, but it's not overly so. Very nice balance of color and contrast. I love the idea of Afras with Labs. Nice-looking, relatively mild temperament, and a good size for a 55. I may just look into those myself.

Say, how's your filtration? You have a number of fish in there. You'll probably want at least 600GPH of filtration, if not more, esp with those big 6" fish.

Nice mix. Your potentially 6" Acei and Cobalts are teetering just over the upper limit of the recommended 5" in a 55 gallon aquarium, but it's not overly so. Very nice balance of color and contrast. I love the idea of Afras with Labs. Nice-looking, relatively mild temperament, and a good size for a 55. I may just look into those myself.

Say, how's your filtration? You have a number of fish in there. You'll probably want at least 600GPH of filtration, if not more, esp with those big 6" fish.

Filtration right now is at 500GPH...Gonna wait and see how it goes as the fish get bigger. If it doesn't turn out to be enough I may add a canister filter, but right now all is well. After taking out the Maingano the whole tank changed...very laid back now.

Back
Top Bottom