Need help with African Cichlid compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopsia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, So im new to keeping fish and happened to choose cichlids because of their beauty without doing any research. I am now in love with them but was misleaded when i was told i could keep any african cichlid together rather than being in their groups. I believe i have all females as they told me which ones were which. Heres the list of cichlids i ended up with:

1x Electric Blue female peacock (grey color)
1x Nimbochromis Venustus Hap
1x Electric Yellow
1x OB Zebra (possible hybrid w/Labeotropheus)
1x Albino Snow White (possible male, removed. Too agressive)
1x Colbalt Blue Zebra
1x P. elongatus (best guess)
1x unknown mbuna (not really agressive)

I took the snow white out because it was overly aggresive and wouldnt stop chasing others and nipping fins so its in its own 20 gallon right now..
The female peacock rules the tank half the time chasing off the others from her side. The only hap minds her own business and stays at top, but gets chased off by others especially the peacock and the ob zebra. the rest are little squirmers constantly swimming around and going into the peacocks territory.. I wonder if the peacocks aggression will slow down towards the others considering they've all been in the tank for only like 3 days or so. Or if theyre simply imcompatable.. I guess its all a gamble.. i dont know much about pairing and am just finding out so any suggestions are very helpful.. maybe adding more of a certain species to level out aggression perhaps? but then the thought comes around that more will pick on the hap and bother the peacock, and so on

Attachments

• S2380016.jpg
    S2380016.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 103
  • S2380003.jpg
    S2380003.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 97
  • S2380007.jpg
    S2380007.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 107
  • S2380005.jpg
    S2380005.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 102
Its atleast a 50 gallon, I put much more than 40 gallons in it.. but thats besides the point.

Well we kinda need to know the dimensions of the tank so we know what can and can't be done.

1x Electric Blue female peacock (grey color)
1x Nimbochromis Venustus Hap
1x Electric Yellow
1x OB Zebra (possible hybrid w/Labeotropheus)
1x Albino Snow White (possible male, removed. Too agressive)
1x Colbalt Blue Zebra
1x P. elongatus (best guess)
1x unknown mbuna (not really agressive)

I think you need to get rid of the hap ( Nimbochromis Venustus) because it will get to big to be with the others in that size of tank. I would then maybe get rid of one more and increase the numbers of the rest. Like this
3x peacock
5x Electric Yellow
5x Colbalt Blue Zebra
5x P. elongatus

Or you can change it up a little by adding or taking away. The general rule we all kinda have is to stay under the 5" for a maximum adult size fish on a 55 gallon or definitely for smaller tanks. That's why we need to know the footprint of the tank. Good this helps :)

Thanks for the info! So it sounds like it should shoot for keeping them together with the same species rather than a bunch of random ones.. I guess a little overstocking is what would work with mixing the peacocks and mbunas.. Ive been looking for only females because of breeding issues.. Should i add males for aggression issues or is it fine to stick to females? Could it work out keeping the hap if i upgraded tanks eventually?

Thanks

If they are all females aggression should be calmer then if there was males in the tank. No matter what you do they are going to be hyper that's their way of life. When keeping most haps and having them all mixed up the way you do you really need to have a 6' tank.

Last edited:
i think im just going to keep all the fish including the hap and add more of the species you recommened. I just went to petsmart and bought 3 of the biggest plants they had and few caves, now the tank seems really crowded with plants and caves and everyones a little more peaceful for now especially the peacock.. thanks for the input tho, it goes a long way

Back
Top Bottom