Need Ideas for a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

This is my first post to this website. I have kept fish for at least 14 years. I have fresh water tank for the first 11 years. I had cichlids in a 20 high a year before I got into salt water tanks. Three years ago I switched to reef tanks. I got good at reef keeping and now I want to go back to fresh water. I just bought a used 90 gallon tank and I plan on setting it up with cichlids instead of saltwater.

This time I would like to do it properly and I'm not sure how different the system setup for fresh water is from salt water. I have a small sump with some bio-balls and a mag drive 7 for a return. For lights I have a wave point 4x54w t5ho light. I know it is too much for this tank and would like to go with a few simple LED strips.

The stuff I am not sure about is the kinds of rocks and substrate I can use. Will I need more power heads? Can I put live plants in the tank with them?

If you have any other questions or comments please post them!

The fish I would like are yellow labs, demasoni and hongi. I am not sure on the numbers of fish I can add so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Jarred

Live plants

No to the live plants the fish you want will uproot them. No the set up for saltwater isn't much more different than freshwater. You'll be fine with the set up. Good luck!:)

Back
Top Bottom