need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbird79

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive got a cichlid thats not eating. Just noticed it this morning. It looks to be swimming around fine. It seems to be alil more aggressive then normal. Not sure if it male or female. It looks like it shuffling something around in its mouth. Just wondering if it could be eggs. Is there any way to tell. And is it the male or female that holda the eggs. Thanks

Females hold the eggs It could very well be , just keep watching youll see the eggs soon if thats it.

That would awesome. Even though thats fish is not the one that wanted to breed. I wanted to breed my electric yellow. This ugly orange one is one my wife brought home. I told her to get three female electric yellows and she brings this one home. Needless to say i dont let my wife buy the fish without me lol.

Im not sure. I think i see eggs in her mouth but cant really tell.

Ive been watchin her every chance i get. Im getting a tank ready to go to move her to asap i dont like feeding the other while she just has to watch

Crap now i think i have another one holding

What do i do now. Can i put both females in my second tank. Or sould i just leave them in the main

If you want to raise any fry then move them to another tank, but I would use a tank divider if you move them both. If you have no use for the fry then let them spit in the main tank and the fry will be dispatched quickly by the other fish.

Ok know this is getting crazy. My kids have a 10gal with mollies and i found a baby in their tank tonight. Lol.

jbird79 said:
Ok know this is getting crazy. My kids have a 10gal with mollies and i found a baby in their tank tonight. Lol.

Must be something in the water over there. Your fish must be happy if they are making babies.

I finally got rid of all the tropicals in my 55 bc they wouldn't stop having fry!!! That and I love the cichlids way more!!!! I stripped my first one bc I was like wow!!! Then I noticed in my 140 there were other fry in the lava rock which covers my air strip and in some crevices and under ornaments... I figure if they are happy to see me and having babies.... Must be a happy community.... It's fun to watch them grow tho in a juvenile tank :) now trying ti decide what to put in my 55 g.... Decisions decisions....

Deckape said:
Must be something in the water over there. Your fish must be happy if they are making babies.

Yah now all i have to do is keep my wife away from the water.

Ok so now im confused. One of my fish is stii holding eggs i think. But she eating. She dont open her mouth very much and is just sucking in little flakes. Is this normal.

Good. Her new tank is read so ill be moving her tonight

Deckape said:
Might be a prudent call

Ok well didnt tell my wife soon enough. We just found out she is pregnant. Happy fathers day to me!! So much for my saltwater tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom