Need some advice on new tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nd90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently lost all of my fish except my jd and just got a Vieja argentea i would like to add at least one more if not two fish but am undecided on what else I can put with my current fish i was thinking about a green terror or a fire mouth does anyone have any suggestions on these or any other rare fish ? they are going in a 90 gallon with a aqua claer 110 and a fluval 405

I was told that a flower horn or midas has to be kept alone because they get really nasty

I wouldn't use that as a rule. Each fish is different and especially with it going into a tank with established territories. It's going to be the new guy/gal on the block.

Is there any other rare cichlids that you normally don't see ? I have a really good store I started using that has green terrors from Ecuador from the wild they didn't have any when I was there but I heard the colors on them are amazing.

I bought a green severum had it for about two and a half weeks and started to notice that my other fish looked like they had ich that turned into some type of fungal infection tried to qt them and medicate long story short I lost all of them but my jd

I think I'm leaning toward a green terror or a Texas

I was told that a flower horn or midas has to be kept alone because they get really nasty

Then he'd be down to one fish when those reach maturity, I'd only attempt tankmates in a six foot tank or larger.

I think I'm leaning toward a green terror or a Texas

I think that 3 large aggressive fish in a 4ft tank eight of ten times ends badly, I'd look into some of the smaller genus's such as Cryptoheros and Amatitlania. That tank doesn't allow the individual territories needed that these fish require. I'd keep the 2 large ones, add a smaller cichlid tough enough to withstand the punishment, toss in a school of dithers, and call it stocked.

Last edited:
Would a fire mouth work being that its doesn't get that big?

I should of went with the 125 instead of the 90 but I got a good deal on it. I wanted to get something different but I don't want to have any problems wit my other fish between a convict, fire mouth ,and another jack, what would be the best choice ?

I'd stick to the convict or firemouth, adding another JD makes the possibility of a pair increase which would not allow tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom