Needs help with setting up a 55 gallon African Cichlid Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I searched for months for the best deal for an AC110; they are not cheap. Google "AquaClear 110" and click "shopping" to see online and nearby pricing.

Once I found it on Amazon for $69 but it has since changed. I ended up biting the bullet and purchased mine at PetSmart for $80. I'm leery of ordering online unless it's a well-known company, and I don't do Craig's List. That's just my preference, though. If you order online, you may as well order spare media components so you have them on hand.

My PetCo had nothing larger than an AC70, so unless you can find another LFS, you may have to order it online.

$8-$10 sounds about right for juvenile Yellow Labs. Your challenge at PetCo is finding enough in stock to get 5 or so. Too bad a PetSmart were close to you, as they always have a dozen or so in stock; say what you may about PetSmart.

BTW, be leery of getting advice from PetCo, PetSmart, or any other LFS (local fish store). Some can be quite misinformed. Not necessarily untrustworthy, just uninformed or inexperienced in Cichlids.

VTFish said:
Do you mean 8-10 dollars per fish or for 5 or 6? I will let you know if i find a cheap 110 gallon filter. It probably won't be for a while though. Thanks alot for your help.
Eli

Generally $8-10 per fish. They're normally around 2-2.5" at that price. Some places will sell them smaller for cheaper.

I think will order the filter online but first i have to save up money to get it. Maybe i will post photos of the tank on this thread when it is finished, so then you and other people can see it and you can tell me what you think of the setup, but first I have to emptey the water and get out the substrate , rocks and wood i have in it from another setup plus one fish that survived when all the others died that i don't know what to do with. I was wondering if you think Pool filter sand is good to use for the substrate with the yellow lab fish? I aleardy bought it and it was cheap about $15.00 for a 50 pound bag. Thanks for the advice.
Eli

I was looking up different kinds of cichlids and i found one called a Jewel Cichlid. They are cheap, about $2.50 per fish. They are from Africa but not the great rift lakes instead African streams and rivers. They get about 6" long. I was thinking that it might be good to get those kind of fish since they are not as expensive even though they are not from lake Tanganyika or Lake Malawi. I could do a biotope of a African stream or river in the 55 gallon tank instead. What do you think of the idea? And would i need a 110 gallon filter for thoose fish or could i use the Aquaclear 70 power filter?

VTFish said:
I was looking up different kinds of cichlids and i found one called a Jewel Cichlid. They are cheap, about $2.50 per fish. They are from Africa but not the great rift lakes instead African streams and rivers. They get about 6" long. I was thinking that it might be good to get those kind of fish since they are not as expensive even though they are not from lake Tanganyika or Lake Malawi. I could do a biotope of a African stream or river in the 55 gallon tank instead. What do you think of the idea? And would i need a 110 gallon filter for thoose fish or could i use the Aquaclear 70 power filter?

In regards to the filter. You can get a penguin 350 bio wheel for about $30 on amazon. If you used that along with your AC70 you could prob get away with not shelling out the $100+ for the AC110, but anyone will tell you that the 110 is a great filter and really works as well as advertised.

There has been lots of great advice on this thread so far, so I not much to add.

Except try to find your nearest cichlid group, some meet regular and some like mine meet every 6 months. They normally have guest speakers, and great information can be found by its members. When they meet, auctions take place and lots of fish that can't be found in stores can be purchased along with equipment and other accessories. The prices are all cheaper than store or online purchased fish.

For example I picked up 10 shell dwellers with some shells for £14. Cheap!!!

You can also join east anglian cichlid group online. Just google.

Good luck

Thank you both Ukdans1k and TheGrza for your adivice and comments. I apparcite it. WHat excactly is the east anglian Cichlid group? I would like the AC110 filter but i do not have much money so i think i will get 350 bio wheel filter for $30.00 on amazon.com and also use the AC70 filter.

It's a group and forum specially for cichlids.it is based in east Anglian uk but has members world wide. Everything cichlid can be found here, a massive fountain of knowledge and advice.

TheGrza said:
In regards to the filter. You can get a penguin 350 bio wheel for about $30 on amazon. If you used that along with your AC70 you could prob get away with not shelling out the $100+ for the AC110, but anyone will tell you that the 110 is a great filter and really works as well as advertised.

Looks like your PetCo might have the 350 in stock as well. That would give you 650GPH in total, which really should get you by. Another AC70 would do the trick as well (also at PetCo). Consider where the tank wil be placed and how much noise you will tolerate. I have not had a BIO-Wheel, so I can't tell you how much noise they make. I can tell you that the AC110 is much, much more quiet than the TopFin Power Filter60 that I also have. I have no doubt that the AC70 is just as quiet.

Thanks for the answer and help. I will look into getting a bio wheel 350 filter at petco. I have done some research on Yellow lab Cichlids and i think i will get 5 of them and the bio wheel 350 filter.

Eli

I just realized that there is only one hole for the filter in the homemade wooden canopy so i don't think i can fit two filters and i don't have the tools to make another hole to fit the other filter.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the Fluval Canister filters, but before if i get it then i will need to save up money first.
Eli

As Ovid mentioned, a canisters are a great idea, but more costly.

I guess I'm not clear on what you mean by "home-made wood canopy." Do you mean the hood for your tank? If so, did you make it your self and/or can you just modify it to fit a second filter?

Another option, if you don't want to get a canister filter or modify your hood is to simply replace your AC70. However, there is a nice even flow of water with two filters.

By the way, with the tank water kept 78 degrees or so, tank hoods often accumulate a good amount of condensation. If your tank hood is wood, be aware of what may drip back into your tank that could be tainted by varnish, etc.

I do mean a hood for the tank. It has tow 15 watt florescent lights and the inside is painted white. Some one helped me make it. I think i might make another spot for the other filter because it would be a lot cheaper. What do you mean by It could be tainted by Varnish?

VTFish said:
I do mean a hood for the tank. It has tow 15 watt florescent lights and the inside is painted white. Some one helped me make it. I think i might make another spot for the other filter because it would be a lot cheaper. What do you mean by It could be tainted by Varnish?

Well, if the hood is painted then it is not varnished. What I mean is that condensation may collect under the hood and drip back into the tank. So whatever is on the hood may leech into the condensation that would drip back into the tank and be a contaminant to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom