Neolamprologus Leleupi tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gal tank with a breeding pair of Leleupi w/fry. I'm still a way off from adding tank mates but I'd like to add at least one other group of Tangs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Calvus or comp's would work with the leleupi, or cylindricus would probably be tough enough to stand their ground.

I would really like to add some comps. How big should I allow my leleupi fry to grow before adding 1"+ comps?

....also, how do you feel about housing cyps with leleupi? I REALLY like these guys!

Size of the fry dep[ends on how protective the parents are. Julies or Neolamp's that guard their fry closely aren't likely to lose many/any to comp's. If the fry are left on their own to wander the tank they're more likely to get picked off. Even then, 1" comp's aren't going to be too much of a threat, and the leleupi fry will grow faster than they will.
A 55 is too small for Cyp's, even the smallest need at least a 75, really should
be a 6' or larger tank though. Paracyp's would fit alright, they're more rock-oriented than Cyp's, and prefer tall, vertical rocks around the sides and back.

I would wait to add fish until the parents are done guarding their fry because they are liable to beat up on any Calvus, Comps or any other fish you may add. Cyps would be nice but need a 6' tank minimum IMO because of how active they are.

That being said a species tank with just Leleupi would be pretty cool.

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

No cyps. That's cool.

I bought my tank from a woman who stocked the tank with, pretty much, anything that had African or cichlid in the name at petco.

In all, I re-homed over 30 fish. Haha! Most were given away and my favs were sold to one guy at a great price.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE having just Leleupi w/ offspring. Just seems like it could be enhanced with the addition of one compatible species.

I was actually hoping that a free swimming species would be appropriate since my Leleupi stick close to the rocks and substrate.

Back
Top Bottom